Page 11 of 172 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161111 ... LastLast

any chance of resizing that first large pic please ? It makes accessing subsequent posts difficult.

tks
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Yep sure, have made it smaller.

Very exciting acquisition, best of luck with it. I haven't yet read every post or every part of the blog, so I may have missed it...

...but any chance you could give us a detailed list of her dimensions, equipment, maybe a deckplan/layout?

People watching this thread with envy may not realise there are FVs out there, here's one, very pretty boat and state of the art in its day. The engine spec is wrong, the T4 runs at 1000rpm, and don't worry about its age, it should run for ever. http://www.woodenships.co.uk/motor-y...h-fishing-boat. An offer should get it, not worth too much.

If you look at Graham_Wright's son's boat as in the link above, one of these FVs was sold for £1 unconverted in Newlyn a few years ago, still running as on the last fishing trip. Fairly ropey and a labour of love, but others can be found in reasonable nick. A 90ft steel ex Dutch beamer was sold in Newlyn for £5k, it had a winch worth £8k on the deck, and a 3k worth of fuel still aboard, it was converted for pot fishing. Here:
    https://www.google.com/search?site=i...ml%3B500%3B333
    Look out for the next round of decommissioning, if there ever is one, not many left to scrap.

Lots of nice wooden boats to dream over on that site, for not as much as they look like they're worth...this caught my eye: http://www.woodenships.co.uk/sailing...timber-carrier

...a snip at £15,000, surely? (I don't want to think about the £150,000 she might cost, for repairs, decks, sails, carpentry down below and engine-overhauls.) Food for dreams.

Hey dancrane, funny you posted a link to that boat. Seeing that advert is what ultimately led to me buying Elizmor.

I have had my eye on old MFVs/wooden things for the past year now, kept looking at them online and then forgot about them again. About 6 weeks ago I saw that exact Baltic Trader listing on Wooden Boats - I have a fondness for Baltic Traders after spending a lot of my teenage years volunteering on the Cirdan Sailing Trust's 105ft ex-Baltic Trader Queen Galadriel.

It inspired me to look around again, and that's when I stumbled upon Elizmor's for sale advert - the rest is history!

I just looked at that Baltic Trader again, what a lot of boat for the money if you've got the right skills. I hope one of us might snap her up and document the work they do to her!

That would be a fine thing, she's a grand looking old boat, as is Elizmor.

Always fancied one of those old MFVs as a potential conversion to topsail schooner. Some are already so close to the Hollywood image of a galleon - fine curving sheer and stern.

Never been so sure I'd want to take one on, plus the considerable burden of work (foreseen and unforeseen) involved in keeping one seaworthy, let alone converting and maintaining.

I always concluded they must be cheap for a reason...but I'm full of admiration for your commitment.

Yeah, the lack-of-sails things does keep popping up in the back of my head, but Elizmor is perfect for the liveaboard that she will be. Tops'l schooner conversion would be amazing!

I'm pretty lucky to have found Elizmor, as all things considered, she (appears to be!) in pretty good shape and has already been converted, so it's just the re-commissioning for a sea passage that needs the work now - and of course ongoing maintenance. I don't have the skills myself to take on anything more heavily involved, like that Baltic Trader, so Elizmor is perfect for me.

Indeed, commitment is the key word in all of this, sometimes I have little flurries of 'wtf am I doing!' but then I go and stick another log in the woodburner and relax in the saloon and I already wouldn't trade her for the world. I wouldn't mind someone picking up the tab for me though, just booking her launch in a couple of weeks and crane hire is costing me as much as a year's mooring fees for my 34ft yacht in Brighton Marina! OUCH!

How admirably honest of you! There'll be GRP boat-owners round the UK right now, grinning, feeling quietly conceited about their plastic piles of minimal maintenance. Like me!

But nothing will detract from your feeling of reward one calm summer's evening next year, under sail or anchored in stunning scenery, knowing what you have is genuinely unique.

For the rest of us, it's great to read of the ups and downs of real little-ship ownership. Cheers!

That was me just a few months ago, very happy with my virtually maintenance free plastic boat! But what's life if you don't scare yourself every day...

I have spent this afternoon vastly updating the website, including uploading a gallery and a new blog post. Check it out here: www.elizmor.co.uk and please leave a comment - very easy to do so

Page 11 of 172 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161111 ... LastLast