Page 2 of 172 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast

Enjoy her! Here's a pic of her (on the right) in Dungarvan in about 1950.

Wow, wish I had been as brave as you when I was as young as you are(assumptions), good luck with it though but you seem to have mad a suitable level headed start to what you have done (words fail me). But brilliant, good luck and good for you. Please included a bit of video with the engine running: some of us love old diesel engines!

Great looking boat, I am sure she will make a great home and take the weather you cannot, even in the Irish Sea winter.

Some thoughts for you if you have not played with MFV's:
    MFV's are famous for rolling on wet grass. Its not uncomfortable (once you get used to it) or dangerous but they do roll, make sure things are secured before any significant weather.
    Boat handling:
    Big slow turning single screw relatively small rudder, you will learn allot about prop walk (dont fight it, it can be your friend).
    The other thing is she will be heavy and carry momentum well go gently again learn to use the moment for you.

I hope you put many happy miles under her keel.
    Now what happened to all the 2 speed self tailing wenches?

[jealous face]

Looks good
    Health to enjoy.

Thanks for the kind comments everybody...

@prv Nathan came round the other day to say hello as he's up in Preston at the moment, and told me about that story - however it was the owners before me that pipped your friend to the post!

@onesea thanks very much for the tips. I have absolutely zero MFV experience and am not looking forward to the boat handling bit, so thanks for the advice!

A site surveyor from a contract crane hire company should be arriving any minute to have a look at the launching situation, pretty exciting, will keep you all updated.

Photos and video tour coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by jellyellie View Post
    @prv Nathan came round the other day to say hello as he's up in Preston at the moment, and told me about that story - however it was the owners before me that pipped your friend to the post!
    Interesting - so did they actually buy her and then sell her on again a year or so later? Or did that sale fall through in the end and she remained with the original seller until you came along? I guess the former, otherwise I guess my mate would have got another call.

Any idea why they sold her on so soon?

Pete

I am fairly sure Elizmore was working out of Girvan when I lived there mid-70s. She has the hull lines of a boat built by Alexander Noble of Girvan, sure enough. Their trademark was the canoe stern.

Words from Robert Ingram of Girvan:
    On a clear day you will find me on the high slopes of the Byne Hill looking out over Girvan and the wide sea beyond, for my father was a fisherman from a long line of fishermen and they hunted the herring all over the wide blue sea.And they sailed upon the Elizmore,the Alipeds and countless more boats that were bonnie, men that were free.And high above old Girvan town as I watch the golden sun go down behind the Sleeping Warrior who guards oe’r Arran still, I could swear I could see again those boats way out at sea again….smiling Chopper on the deck,Hollywood’s handsome grin and in the wheelhouse The Walrus stands,he was my grampa… oh what a man.Oh for 1 night in the Harbour Bar, all our friends and loved ones too we’d raise a glass and we’d sink a few.Amen let it be..Amen let it be!

Have a look at trawlerpictures.net where you will find a photograph of Elizmore at sea. Registered number 163.
    Good luck with the project.
    Last edited by Gordonmc; 13-11-13 at 10:33. Reason: Spelling ... Duhhh
    Visit MarinaSkip to get rid of your unwanted boaty stuff (and pick up
    some more!)

ClickyClicky

lovely boat (little ship) and looks a great home . Now for the downside ..... From previous experience unlike your previous boat you will be treated like a leper when visiting harbour's pontoons and mooring due to its size and it's lack of close quarter manoevering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonmc View Post
    ….. Their trademark was the canoe stern. …..
    I am not doubting what you say but the archetype West Coast, Scottish fishing boat had a canoe stern (and small single man wheelhouse). The vast fleets in Campbeltown, Tarbert and Oban that I remember, had Canoe sterns to the point that a flat stern was noticeable as the odd one out.

jellyyellie - it would be prudent to have a standalone petrol driven water/bilge pump with appropriate hose lengths on board from day one. Laid up stuff can have a higher probability of failure, at least in the short term, post re-commissioning. An example - I delivered a 45' motor boat from Felixstow to Peterhead and despite being surveyed and rebuilt at the stern both rudder stern tubes developed severe leaks 24 hours into the trip.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Page 2 of 172 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast