Page 3 of 172 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    jellyyellie - it would be prudent to have a standalone petrol driven water/bilge pump with appropriate hose lengths on board from day one.
    +1

I was going to be helping Chris bring her down to Southampton if he'd been successful in buying her, and a three or four inch pump and plenty of fuel (plus a liferaft, well-stocked grab-bag, and EPIRB/PLB) were requirements for me taking such a boat down the Irish sea. I was also going to make up a portable board with AIS, VHF and GPS, to be clamped in the wheelhouse as I don't remember the boat having much in the way of nav kit. The raft etc and the instruments were to have been borrowed from Ariam which was laid up for work at the time, but Chris would have bought the pump (the need for which he quite agreed with).

Machine Mart do the kind of pumps I had in mind: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ven-water-pump

Pete

I had a 60ft one for 30 years, and had a huge amount of fun. There is, though, a huge amount of maintenance if you want to keep her up to scratch. When manoeuvering, you have to plan ahead, but don't worry, in some ways it's much easier than with a small boat, because things happen slower, the wind doesn't immediately blow you off the pier, and you have much more clear deck space to handle lines.

It's essential to use your propwalk for coming alongside. Right-hand prop pulls in to port when put in astern, so you always plan to berth that way. Left-hand prop is obviously the opposite. Don't try to fight it. Have fun.

Yep, there's a lot of her history online. She was built in 1948 by Miller in St Monans, Scotland, and was in service as a ringnetter until 1989 (year before I was born!). Her fishing numbers were B163, and D110 when she fished in Ireland for a bit. Her sister ship is called 'Arctic Moon' and I believe she is being cruised in the Med - would be awesome to track her down.

@prv, they bought her yes, and sold her to me after a year - the boat was in the wrong part of the country for them and they had other commitments (another boat, elderly parent). In the year they owned her, they concentrated on overhauling the engine, and steamed a couple of new planks in, so there's nothing major that needs doing now - just finishing touches for a launch & sea voyage.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyellie View Post
    there's nothing major that needs doing now
    Bet there is - there always is

Dead jealous though - best of luck with her.

Pete

@prv - don't worry, I have made up a 'project whiteboard' which takes into account all of the surveyor's recommendations for the trip, and have definitely taken bilge pumping/safety gear into consideration! I'm spending quite a bit of money bringing her up to full commission. Luckily my dad's great at the engineering/electrics side and my boyfriend is an excellent carpenter with his own wooden boat so I have a great team to help me (they're both down below working on something as I type!).

This is going to be an awesome adventure with no corners cut - she'll be a great seagoing boat!

Fantastic... the boat, the history, the adventure, all of it! Good for you.

How wonderful to have a boat with such a history, especially the B&W pics of her in another life.
    1978 Salty Dog 27

Sitting her in the mud for a few tides is a good idea, you only have to keep her afloat when the tides in, yet she is wet 24/7. When I was a kid, boats that would not take up where left sitting in Mersey mud for a whilst.

Another idea if you can get to the interior planking is to spray it with water form time to time to help it start absorbing water. On one boat with my parents I was sent out to the scrapyard to go and buy some windscreen sprays to keep the wood moist. Big bits of wood can take some time to get back into shape, she might seap for a whilst and again in first seaway she might start taking a little its normal.

As others have said pumps are a good idea as some one once pointed out to me, your not sinking till the water is coming faster than you can pump it out .

I am sure all this advice is unnecessary...

From the point of view of boat handling as others have said you will be treated as a leper, no one will want you rafted outside them! Learn to handle her tidy and you will get the admiration of all, if you see a fishing boat knocking round they may well offer some good advice.

No not jealous at all here...
    Now what happened to all the 2 speed self tailing wenches?

I would be inclined to do a few shakedown trips round the bay, just to see what happens, get the engine up to temp, etc. You'll get lots of minor trouble, belts, pipes and such.

Well, best of luck, what a find!
    The sensible advice has all been said Jellie, enjoy!
    ( Now you can have a proper ships dinghy too sitting on the deck. Is there a power winch at all for hauling anchors and gear?)
    Regs, Tim
    Why argue with a nautical wall? I just read the graffiti these days.

Page 3 of 172 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast