Page 4 of 172 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I would be inclined to do a few shakedown trips round the bay, just to see what happens, get the engine up to temp, etc. You'll get lots of minor trouble, belts, pipes and such.
    +1, and when you think you have enough pumps, treble them, with gate valves / one way valves / seacocks to prevent them coming back if the trim goes awry !

The windows look big to stick your neck out in bad weather, or maybe that was the photo ? If not then storm boards to cover them would be an imperative.

I do wish you every success and bit of fun, well done for hopefully saving an historic vessel.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please PM me here - www.anderson22class.co.uk

Looks amazing. Engine pic please!
    Sabre 27 134/49er GBR340/Flying Fifteen K797/Fireball GBR14474

A lovely looking vessel, lots of good advice re pumps etc and getting used to her idiosyncrasies. Hope all goes well for you.

Fantastic, sure you will enjoy her, I'm very envious.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    Looks great and I bet it is equally as nice inside; but oh boy oh boy being wood construction it would need a lot of looking after.
    Whee what an understatement. I am really reluctant to be negative to Ellie but a huge wooden hull that has been out of the water for 10 years. It will have to be very carefully inspected for rot
    and potential leaks. Alright I am going to say it to Ellie if you havn't paid for it don't. If it is too late then I wish you lots of luck. I certainly hope the added room will be worth the cost and pain of maintenance of the wooden hull. I love the boat just would not want to own it. olewill

Echo that respect! Griff Rhys-Jones asid "You can live on a big wooden boat but it will live off you"; but a wonderful life whilst doing so. That journey down the Irish Sea will be a treat, lovely coast and lots of interesting places to stop off.

Aye, its the things we don't do that we regret..

At exact same age I bought my first wooden boat and sailed it away from the Orwell to the West country, it never having left the river in 20 years..One had adventures, failures, fixes, detours, one made some very good friends, one had a sort of breakdown in the end 'cos I couldn't keep up with the lack of money/time/skills/whilst trying to further educate oneself as well in the 'real world', a nasty little equation that one, but it didn't break anything permanently and my goodness some peoples lives do seem a tad dull by comparison looking back ( so they say anyway).

Jellie has had a survey and has the A team..The garboard/keel mod looks interesting, I would want to load up the transmission/prop/rudder/steering/ at full chat for a few hours and make sure an anchor can be deployed, ( can't see the stemhead fitting) but these are details..

Quelle aventure indeed
    Last edited by Blueboatman; 14-11-13 at 09:17.
    Why argue with a nautical wall? I just read the graffiti these days.

William H is right, I've been biting my tongue over this, but I'm a natural paranoid doom monger, and you're planning a hefty voyage. Sorry. Why the battens along the garboard seams? Doubled? When was it done, has she been to sea since? What did the surveyor say about them? Looks like a leak that didn't respond to caulking, in which case the keel bolts may be a problem. That's why I suggested you get the boat out in a bit of a seaway, you'll soon know. It's not incurable, time (lots) rather than money (50?). Draw a bolt to see what it's like, this is routine in some FV surveys. If it's rotted you get half a bolt out with the broken end like a needle, use a hollow nosed punch to knock the rest out, replace, do the rest. Worst bit is access, keel band outside, accommodation inside. I sincerely hope this is not so, much older boats survive without this trouble, but if so you won't want to be in any dirty weather. I once had a 1902 pilchard driver, 36ft, almost certainly never had the bolts replaced, never had a leak. I think the steel was better then.

Amazing.. What an adventure ahead.. Best wishes for some wonderful and safe trips.. All the best from Southsea

As a house boat it's ideal as a cruising boat it's a nightmare . look at the visibility,small wheelhouse windows,no rear vision and only limited side vision close quarter manoevering will be a nightmare.

Page 4 of 172 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast