Page 51 of 172 FirstFirst ... 41464748495051525354555661101151 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    I'm getting bored with this. Nothings going to happen until the boat owner comes up with the money to get the boat lifted in in a safe manner, with appropriate insurances in place and a proper lift plan in place. Prior to this the lifter will have to satisfy himself as to the bearing strength and stability of the ground which may involve putting down some boreholes unless there is current information available.
    if you're bored with it, why bother reading it? go ellie go i'm sure you're working as hard as you can to make this work and don't need the negative comments

Quote Originally Posted by ripvan1 View Post
    if you're bored with it, why bother reading it? go ellie go i'm sure you're working as hard as you can to make this work and don't need the negative comments
    Absolutely ...go Ellie go ... Stump up for the crane and go .... Simple .

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
    Again, despite the fact that Ellie has lived on board a boat for some time, I think the up-scaling of costs involved in a bigger boat has been a surprise.
    The costs certainly surprised me. I used to think that paying two hundred quid to have three tons lifted out was a bit painful ... never again. But then, I also had no idea that a fishing boat could be so heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by KevO View Post
    True enough... but it sounds like it has been. Get quotes from several potential providers, haggle for the best possible deal between them, then pay it and get the job done.
    It may not be quite that simple ... if other big lifts are planned in the near-ish future it might be well worth looking at joint arrangements. Even if the lifts aren't done together, someone else might come in on the ground survey costs.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    The costs certainly surprised me. I used to think that paying two hundred quid to have three tons lifted out was a bit painful ... never again. But then, I also had no idea that a fishing boat could be so heavy.
    Ian Nicoloson has some figures for cost escalation per foot. Its certainly not linear and at around 36' it starts noticibly rising to some power. Get to 55' and the curve is pretty steep. I am abroad and dont have his book here, so cant quote his observations. One of the things that Ian Nicolson is very good at is rules of thumb based on years of design experience and comparison. His literature is packed with them and he uses them all the time, fine tuning the design with facts as it reaches conclusion.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

It is easy to be seduced by size and space.

We fall in love with something and rationalise our way around the negatives.

Happened to me once. In spite of a good friend impartially and objectively advising me to walk away, I didn't.

Boy, did I pay the price!

There is no free lunch where boats are concerned and the bigger, the more expensive - in every single way. That is a fact of life and no amount of 'Go, Ellie, Go' well meaning encouragement is going to change that.

All that will do is potentially change a nightmare into a tragedy, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Ian Nicoloson has some figures for cost escalation per foot. Its certainly not linear and at around 36' it starts noticibly rising to some power. Get to 55' and the curve is pretty steep.
    The extra length is all in the fat bit in the middle. The ends remain pointy. Plus as the middle bit gets longer the whole hull gets fatter.

(except narrowboats)
    Another person's thoughts about you are outside of your jurisdiction.

As many have said before, the only way to get a boat of this size back in the water is to take a deep breath and open your wallet - you can't go taking chances with a 70-ton ship. A bit of me does fear that getting her into the water is only the start of the problem/ expense

While it's hard to argue with the "go Ellie go" sentiment, the solution does, unfortunately, come down to cold, hard cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
    The extra length is all in the fat bit in the middle. The ends remain pointy.
    Have you seen modern yacht designs? Bum-wise, pointy they ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    It may not be quite that simple ... if other big lifts are planned in the near-ish future it might be well worth looking at joint arrangements. Even if the lifts aren't done together, someone else might come in on the ground survey costs.
    What does a ground survey actually consist of?
    Do they drill holes?
    Does the yard have to have the ground survey anyway for its regular craning?
    Unless it's more than a day's work for two qualified blokes, it's hard to see it costing much over 1k.

Crane insurance is expensive, but not that expensive.
    Is insuring against the boat falling apart when lifted a factor in all this?

Page 51 of 172 FirstFirst ... 41464748495051525354555661101151 ... LastLast