Page 3 of 140 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
    rivonia is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    I don't think there would be a lot of point - it's patently obvious that foreign yacht owners won't like a new tax. The question for them is, whether yachts would move away in droves and make it self-defeating.

I recall a few years back the uproar when the Bahamas introduced a $300 entry fee plus $500 a year tax to continue staying there. Everyone said they would stay away - and so they did, for about six months. Now it is just accepted, and there are more visitors than ever.

Greece is, by European standards, a cheap place to keep a yacht, and would remain so. A tax at this level would not make many leave, nor greatly discourage others from moving in.
    For the thousands of liveaboards-it is a different story. I believe that they would simply move on to another area to cruise in and forget about Greek waters.

Peter

Artic Warrior is offline Registered User

Hi Young man,
    Nope im in the blinking wet like you, in rainy devon, we will be full time liva boards march 31st,,,,ticket book all ready,
    Finally after a very long time

Quote Originally Posted by keithgdg View Post
    Sadly at work in Hampshire. Expected departure date 01/06/2014. The boat ie the other woman in my life, is in Portsmouth. If I say where are you you're bound to say somewhere hot and sunny aren't you.

Retired in Crete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
    For the thousands of liveaboards-it is a different story. I believe that they would simply move on to another area to cruise in and forget about Greek waters.

Peter
    Didn't I read that in the UK liveaboards in a marina have to pay council tax? This tax is far less!

Personally, I think that liveaboards in Greece get off pretty lightly when you consider all the taxes that those who live in houses here have to pay.

Just my opinion of course.

John
    Beneteau First 28ft in the Med.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired in Crete View Post
    Didn't I read that in the UK liveaboards in a marina have to pay council tax? This tax is far less!

Personally, I think that liveaboards in Greece get off pretty lightly when you consider all the taxes that those who live in houses here have to pay.

Just my opinion of course.

John
    They're only taking the money from foreigners because they can't get their nationals to pay their taxes without riots and death in the streets and I suspect that you know it. Then there is all that money, paid by our UK national taxes that they take from the EU Community Fund to fund all those never finished (because they won't pay their share) projects that you can see in EVERY town in Greece.

C,mon, the local taxes you pay in Greece are very much less than they are here in the UK.
    Last edited by Steve C Cronin; 15-11-13 at 11:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C Cronin View Post
    They're only taking the money from foreigners because they can't get their nationals to pay their taxes without riots and death in the streets and I suspect that you know it. Then there is all that money, paid by our UK national taxes that they take from the EU Community Fund to fund all those never finished (because they won't pay their share) projects that you can see in EVERY town in Greece.

C,mon, the local taxes you pay in Greece are very much less than they are here in the UK.
    You are obviously forming your opinions from the British press!

Suicides in Greece are up nearly 400%! 37% of the population are unemployed and get no benefits yet the government says that if you are alive you must have an “assumed income” and tax you on this. My partner has not worked for almost three years yet her tax bill for last year was 400 Euros on a zero income! Don’t pay it and they take your property. The Greek government is just like the UK. They chase & harass the little people while the big fish, who can fight back, are left alone. Do you wonder that the little people riot?

You think that the Greek bail outs are paid by UK taxpayers. No one has given Greece any money! The money Greece has received is a loan at 6% interest and 80% of the loans have been used to repay the French and German banks. The majority of the loans did not help Greece – they saved the French and German banks! Incidentally, the EU borrowed the cash from the IMF at 2% and LOANED IT to Greece at 6%. With friends like the EU who needs enemies?

As for my personal taxes, my tax free allowance here is 3,000 Euros (in the UK it would be 9,000 plus Pounds. The tax rate here is also higher. My property tax is over 1200 Euros, Then there is the “Solidarity tax”, Mobile phone tax, Car tax (most expensive in Europe) etc, etc.

Believe me, Greek taxes are far higher than those in the UK. If the cost of living here was not lower than the UK I would return tomorrow.

John

Suicides in Greece are up nearly 400%! 37% of the population are unemployed and get no benefits yet the government says that if you are alive you must have an “assumed income” and tax you on this. My partner has not worked for almost three years yet her tax bill for last year was 400 Euros on a zero income! Don’t pay it and they take your property. The Greek government is just like the UK. They chase & harass the little people while the big fish, who can fight back, are left alone. Do you wonder that the little people riot?

You think that the Greek bail outs are paid by UK taxpayers. No one has given Greece any money! The money Greece has received is a loan at 6% interest and 80% of the loans have been used to repay the French and German banks. The majority of the loans did not help Greece – they saved the French and German banks! Incidentally, the EU borrowed the cash from the IMF at 2% and LOANED IT to Greece at 6%. With friends like the EU who needs enemies?

As for my personal taxes, my tax free allowance here is 3,000 Euros (in the UK it would be 9,000 plus Pounds. The tax rate here is also higher. My property tax is over 1200 Euros, Then there is the “Solidarity tax”, Mobile phone tax, Car tax (most expensive in Europe) etc, etc.

Believe me, Greek taxes are far higher than those in the UK. If the cost of living here was not lower than the UK I would return tomorrow.

John
    Not at all. I don't read newspapers. My information is self collected. I spend six months a year cruising around Greece and/or living in a marina. i can see all the EU blue signs for myself. You, being an ex-pat Brit(?) pay all your taxes because you have an in-built sense of fair play but what about your fellow indiginous residents? My experience is that tax evasion is a national sport in Greece! Incidentally, my boat guardian pays very little in local taxes, where are you going wrong?
    Last edited by Steve C Cronin; 15-11-13 at 12:55.

Chris_Robb is online now Registered User

John
    John, that is a very interesting analysis and makes sad reading. Greece has to raise taxes to support its still bloated public employment sector. No meaningful inroads have been made to the numbers on the state books. The recent episode with the Greek National Broadcaster being shut down and then reopened (having paid everyone €15,000 redundancy) employing more or less the same people again, just shows you either what a pickle they are in or that they are quite incapable of sorting the problem out. The Islands you might say are supporting the excesses of the mainland.

Carmel2 is offline Registered User

IF this happens I wonder how it will effect the Turks who sneak in and out, a sharp decrease in liquior sales in Symi will pi55 off a few locals to say the least.

Anyway no point in getting your knickers in twist over what may come to nothing.
    If the meek inherit the earth, that's going to be one hell of a tax bill.
    Cheers, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C Cronin View Post
    My experience is that tax evasion is a national sport in Greece! Incidentally, my boat guardian pays very little in local taxes, where are you going wrong?
    In “the good old days” maybe but not any more.

How has it changed? Well for a start every business, and the self employed, now has to have a government supplied cash register (cost 600 Euros). Even taxis have to have one. To ensure that receipts are given a law was passed that it you don’t give a bill (or receipt) the customer does not have to pay. Also every taxpayer has to submit receipts, with their tax return, to the value of their tax free allowance. No receipts – no tax allowance. OK, non residents here (tourists & live aboards) do help tax evasion by not asking for/getting receipts but you can hardly blame the Greeks for the actions of tourists.

In the UK about 20% (I’m guessing) of the workers are self employed and have some opportunity to fiddle their tax returns. The rest are on PAYE and have little alternative but to pay their full dues. In Greece it is reversed and 80% are self employed (again a rough guess) so more people have the opportunity to avoid taxes hence the measures outlined above were taken. I would doubt that the Greek self employed are anymore dishonest than the British, there are just more of them!

Do you get a receipt from your boat guardian? If not you are aiding and abetting tax evasion!

John
    Last edited by Retired in Crete; 15-11-13 at 14:48. Reason: punctuation!

macd is online now Registered User

Didn't I read that in the UK liveaboards in a marina have to pay council tax?
    No reflection on anything else you wrote, but that's nonsense (which isn't to say that you didn't read it). Unless you have a permanent liveaboard mooring (which would include few, if any, coastal marina berths), then council tax is not due.
    Mac