Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ball slides on fully battened mainsail

Is it worth getting intermediate ball slides (in place of the plastic slugs) on a fully battened mainsail? If so, what are the advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    Is it worth getting intermediate ball slides (in place of the plastic slugs) on a fully battened mainsail? If so, what are the advantages?
    the sail will hoist easier
    the sail will stack with the head higher x the number of cars added.
    I have the Friedricksen system 4 cars with intermediate slugs
    I may be wrong but not always

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    I'd say well worth it. A fully battened main behaves differently to a partially battened one when de-powered. If you use plastic intermediate slugs they will have a tendency to keep catching the batten cars as they slide down the track. In any event, plastic slugs and roller cars are often not compatible on the same track.

galadriel is offline Registered User

I have RCB batten cars at every point of the luff. To drop the sail we coil the mail halyard in the cockpit, load the tension on the winch, release the clutch, turn head to wind, spin the halyard off the winch and the sail drops in seconds, straight into the stack pack. Easy!
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

seumask is offline Registered User

Definitely get cars for the ends of the battens, we made the mistake on our recent Fully Battened main ( westerly Fulmar)of not specking them (another 200) and unless you are head to wind it was almost impossible to haul down the mainsail. I have now replaced the slugs with the old Rutgerson Batten cars off the old mainsail and all is back to normal, i.e. the main will fall down if head to wind and you can haul it down with relative ease if you are not head to wind. IMHO without the cars the battens push the slugs to one side and hence massively increase the friction, and I had an entreating time mid channel in a F5-6 trying to get the sail down enough to put in another reef.

As well as taking up more space on the track when lowered, you also need to be sure that the reef cringles will reach down to the gooseneck horns when there is a taller stack of cars at the bottom of the track. You might find you can't get the deepest reef on.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    As well as taking up more space on the track when lowered, you also need to be sure that the reef cringles will reach down to the gooseneck horns when there is a taller stack of cars at the bottom of the track. You might find you can't get the deepest reef on.
    Good Point, I struggle to get the mainsail's 2nd & 3rd reefing snap-shackles directly onto the gooseneck attachment, and use a short Dynema loop instead.

DaveS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    Another argument for bringing all lines back to the cockpit rather than using the horns?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Another argument for bringing all lines back to the cockpit rather than using the horns?
    how does that work then with the tack higher than the clew
    I may be wrong but not always

DaveS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    how does that work then with the tack higher than the clew
    One line for the tack and one for the clew means that each can be pulled down to just where wanted. A mark on the tack line helps to avoid pulling it down too far when it's hidden by the stack pack.