Default 12v charger charging 24v system?

I'm just doing a rewire on my boat and have found a very nice 60amp charger, 12volt, linked into the wiring for a 24volt system. Does this work, but at half power or something?

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by All_at_Sea View Post
    I'm just doing a rewire on my boat and have found a very nice 60amp charger, 12volt, linked into the wiring for a 24volt system. Does this work, but at half power or something?
    A 12 volt charger wont charge a 24 volt battery.

Sure what you have found is a mains powered 12 volt charger?

Seems odd maybe some more investigation needed.
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

It is possible, but not a standard 12 volt charger.

How is it wired up ?

Brian

That could be a switch mode 12 to 24 or 24 to 12 converter.
    Or it could be a mains to 12 or 24 charger, or something different.
    Does it have a make and model?

Sandyman is offline Registered User

From what you say I would think the system is wired such that each battery has a separate 12v charge.
    Religion is just a mental crutch for the weak minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyman View Post
    From what you say I would think the system is wired such that each battery has a separate 12v charge.
    +1 have seen it done many times with multi outlet charges and two 12v batteries making a 24v bank. I have to confess that I have never seen a 24v battery on a boat, only 12v
    East Coast Marine Heating & Electronics, Webasto, Wallas & Mikuni dealer

William_H is offline Registered User

24v systems are common on boats with bigger diesel engines. The higher voltage requiring less current somore suitable for cranking big engines.
    A lot of electronic gear is only available to run on 12v. So it is common to have a 24v to 12v converter to run domestic gear. An alternative would be to have a 12v battery and system to run domestic gear. This would be charged by another alternator or a 24 to 12v converter.
    The OP seems however to imply that he has found a 12v charger (from the mains) on board. This could charge a 12v battery if there was one for domestic services.
    It is unlikely that it is suitable for charging the main 24v battery. The 24v battery usually consists of 2x 12v batteries wiored in series. It is conceivable that the charger has 2 outputs each isolated from one another so able to charge the 2 batteries. But be absolutely sure before you assume this.
    The (single output) charger could be used for charging the 12v battery where the negative is connected to the boats negatve system and engine block etc. It could also be used for charging the other battery where its negative is connected to the positive of the other battery. This would require that the negative of the charger is floating ie not connected to mains earth. If there was concern with this then the battery would need to be disconnected to be charged. if you do disconnect the battery for charging you might as well connect it parallel to the other battery and charge them both at once. You need to be very careful to disconnect the battery completely and to wire it to the other battery +ve to +ve -ve to -ve for charging then after charging restore to the original arrangement of one battery negative to ships negative engine block etc. The positive of that battery going to the negative of the next battery the positive of the second battery being 24v to starter etc.
    So we really need to know more about the systems but of course you need to know what you are doing and how the boat electrics work. good luck olewill

Hello, me again.

The unit is 240 volts, supplying 12 volts out, 60 amps. I have tested the cables that were attached to it to find a 24 volt current, so this unit was wired into the 24 volt circuit? I am taking it out and blanking off the cables as l have a 4 stage charger elsewhere charging independently of this unit. Just seems odd to me.

VicMallows is online now Registered User

I am taking it out and blanking off the cables as l have a 4 stage charger elsewhere charging independently of this unit. Just seems odd to me.
    Well, you have a nice charger which I'm sure you will be able to 'pass-on' to someone who can make good use of it. Presumably the previous owner was never short of power and never noticed that the charger was doing nothing