Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default new radar setup self install ?

Hi all,

We are thinking of investing in a new Radar, probably a raymarine E series and were going to include an ais system. Question is how easy is it to install the cable through the mast...it looks like a nightmare. how do you avoid all the halyards vhf cables etc etc and get it out the hole where the old one was routed...................

We are intending a channel crossing in the summer so would be happier with some thing to ease peace of mind

Is this a do it yourself job or is it better to get it fitted and set up by a professional

I am even contemplating having it on a post attached to the stern as the previous owner removed it as it disrupted the airflow when racing, (along with the topping lift and lazyjacks)

We have a JRC 1500 mk2 that came with the boat but has been removed and the cables cut at the mast step so we would need new cabling, have tried to get the cables but there are no longer available, even if I get the cables there no guarantee the thing will work anyway. Hence going the new route.

Thanks in advance
    T

pvb is offline Registered User

It's a relatively easy job for anyone with a few DIY skills. I fitted my Raymarine C120 radar/plotter myself. Much of the labour time involved is in routing the cables through the boat, behind/under trim. I opted for a stern pole (ScanStrut) because it made the installation so much easier, and I can access the scanner easily if I need to. A stern pole gives plenty of range, and has an added benefit of reduced wave clutter compared with a mast-mount.

If you decide to fit it on the mast yourself, you should certainly try to use the old JRC cable to pull a mouse line through to help you with the new cable.

Did my Simrad whole new system myself, and it all works. Dead easy, virtually 'plug and play'.

The cable has been completely removed so just a hole there.
    I am warming to a stern strut as there is shorter cabling runs and less chance of interference...I think.

Its a lot of money so could take it with us If we move on.

After much deliberation i had a pole made to go on the aft end. the main reason was when the mast is struck there is much more wiring to remove & scanner getting damaged / stolen. I still have sufficient range of 10 miles in calm conditions for a box boat. That is too far away to even be concerned about as visually i cant even see it.
    I may be wrong but not always

davidej is online now Registered User

When we self-installed our radar we used a ladder on the mast. climbed up it and dangled a screw or nut (can't remember which) down the hole tied onto Marlow whipping twine. When it reached the bottom we poked around with a bit of bent wire to find the twine and pull out thru the exit hole. The cable can then be pulled through using the twine as a mouse.

Not difficult.
    davidej

with a strut coming in at about 850 and a mount for the mast 300 might be erring towards a mast mount

might be able to use the old mount but doubt it. More thought required on this........

Quote Originally Posted by tsekul View Post
    with a strut coming in at about 850 and a mount for the mast 300 might be erring towards a mast mount

might be able to use the old mount but doubt it. More thought required on this........
    Personally i dont give a stuff what you do, your prerogative
    I may be wrong but not always

Phew, that's a relief...

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Personally i dont give a stuff what you do, your prerogative
    That seems rather stroppy .... not sure why?

Richard