Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Mauling on Scuttlebut.

Perhaps we support the french and other EU countries with their struggle to get boating diesel prices down to our level. should we have gone to Calais today?

Regards
    Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

er, I don't throw my boat away after each trip.

I expect my sails to last at least 10 years.
    My hull is already 27
    No keels
    Very little timber, prolly non sustained, would not buy from a yard now if they could not prove that it comes from a sustained plantation. I am a tree hugger. I would guess you have more wood on board than me, and definitely more at home.
    My ropes and sheets, last many years as do yours
    This year (2004) I have used approx 44 lts of diesel.

The rest can be found on both types of vessel.

Your argument is apples and oranges.

The thread started by saying you must get the raggies support, this type of post isn't really going to help. I signed the petition for what it is worth and I think you will find more raggies on your side than not, so I suggest in the interest of friendly boating you might like to wind your neck in a bit for fear of losing a few more bums on seats from the oh so wasteful rag and stick brigade.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Woof</A>

"er, I don't throw my boat away after each trip."

But in one go your purchase of the boat, for pleasure consumes more resources of the planet than many people manage in many years in third world countries.

If you take the stance you do, you must take into account the whole picture. A 300 foot motor yachts naturally consumes more resources than a 300 foot one and just because you do not throw your boat away each trip does not somehow reverse the resources you have consumed. So your response is invalid!

"I am a tree hugger. I would guess you have more wood on board than me, and definitely more at home."

I have about 30 acres of woodland, much of which is decidous - I leave it as a nature reseve - does qualify me to use more wood on a bigger boat? Once you start going down these simplistic green issues you quicjly get into the base quations about who is allowed to consume what and you end up in a communist style system.... which itself became massibe polluter.

"The thread started by saying you must get the raggies support, this type of post isn't really going to help. "

The truth should help .. those raggies who behave holier than thou have to be brought into the real world, the majority of raggies who are not like that would enjoy them being brought down a peg or two as well. :-) Its exactly the same for those snobbish power boat owners who ride around bouncing every yacht all over the place in their wake.

<hr width=100% size=1>Paul
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234