Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    I don't think you can place too much reliance on fading memories of decades ago. The same people claimed in one news item that the river was flowing at 25mph IIRC. You only have to read a selection of newspaper and website articles to recognise the wide disparity of "(mis)information". Clearly things differ from year to year and location to location - a few years ago the river was flowing over the top of Bell Weir lock through the reception area of the Runnymede Hotel and out into the Windsor road but I don't think thats happened this year.
    I think they would remember the flood level in 2003 compared with this event, I certainly do and It was 2-3 inches lower this time and 2003 was the highest since1948 I can only go back 30 years here so I must rely on my neighbours past and present. I am not surprised that it was, there for, not quite as bad at the Runnymede hotel.

The point is, even if Ham Island resident cannot remember, the records should provide some evidence and if confirmed the impact of the Jubilee river operating at its highest capacity since build, cannot be discounted as a contributing factor to extreme flooding on Ham Island in the same reach that the Jubilee flow returns to the Thames.

The Runnymede Hotel was refurbished/rebuilt in last few years may even been raised since the 2003 flood. As you say Clearly things differ from year to year and location to location.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_d View Post
    Which flood was the highest in 60years?

I took this in 2006:

Thats nearly as high as 60years ago but I am sure the 2003 flood was higher as was last weeks, but err.... I can't be sure
    Looks like it has sunk two foot into the ground in 60 years!

I have it on good authortiy the stone was moved from its original location on Ham Island sometime after 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shead View Post
    Looks like it has sunk two foot into the ground in 60 years!
    Can I ask where that flood marker stone is located?
    Tellin' it like it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverleak View Post
    Can I ask where that flood marker stone is located?
    Culham Lock

Forgive me if I'm being a bit thick, only a lot of the disscusion seems to be about the Jubilee river so can I ask what relevance has that flood mark got to do with Ham Island Old Windsor?
    Tellin' it like it is!

Forgive me if I'm being a bit thick, only a lot of the disscusion seems to be about the Jubilee river so can I ask what relevance has that flood mark got to do with Ham Island Old Windsor?
    Not much just my warped sense of humour, Ham Island residents reported flood levels the highest in 60 years!!!! the photo was taken in 2006 a not particularly bad year and the level was close to
    the 60 year old mark, was just trying to illustrate that memories are unreliable especialy when there is an emotional vested interest.

If there's a bucketful of water up at Culham then unless my geography is really askew that bucket load is heading for the sea and regardless of which arch it goes through at Henley bridge it is still going to pass Ham island. The more bucket loads at Culham the more water at Ham.

Quote Originally Posted by Brayman View Post
    If there's a bucketful of water up at Culham then unless my geography is really askew that bucket load is heading for the sea and regardless of which arch it goes through at Henley bridge it is still going to pass Ham island. The more bucket loads at Culham the more water at Ham.
    Trouble is that if you tip that bucketful in quicker then it used to arrive above Ham Island perhaps it may cause ham island to flood more than it used to. Not a test I would like to carry out in my living room.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast