Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    If anyone is driving out without a full car and could transport an outboard out to Greece, in return for a contribution for petrol, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Damn. I'm driving there right now, could have helped you if I'd known a couple of days ago.

nimbusgb is offline Registered User

I drive down and back to Preveza every season in a van. Van stays out there for 4 or 5 months and then I drive it back. I usually carry stuff for forumites in return for a small contribution towards costs so if you are interested please PM me.

1/ depends on your driving habits. I plan on 24 hours home in Sussex to Venice. If you are leaving in high season then booking the Italy ferry may be advisable so I leave about 30 hours before booked embarkation time. That gives time to relax, grab a coffee in Venice if you are early or slow down the last couple of hundred km if all is going well.
    2/ I have always found the ferry companies pretty accommodating but high season could be a problem, check the terms of your ticket.
    3/ I gave up booking a while back so I plan to arrive at the ferry terminal about 2 hours before departure time. Pitch up, pay on the day. Fortunately, unlike channel ferry operators, they are not particularly into robbing you blind just because you want to sail 'today'. If you miss a ferry there are worse places to be stranded for 24 hours than Venice Ancona, Bari and Brindisi however are different altogether!
    4/ Venice to Igounomitsa or Trieste to Igounomitsa without a doubt. Its now actually about 26 hours not 24 btw. Ancona takes just as long give or take a little and cost the same. Driving down Italy is boring, the fuel is perhaps the most expensive in Europe and the added toll will crank up another 50 to costs. If you are not able to drive it in one go ( I have, it's over 2000 km ) you will need to add another night in an hotel and the worry of your car packed with expensive gear in an Italian hotel car park!
    5/ it's a long drive via the Balkans.....It's a very long drive, the roads in Albania nearly broke a landrover for some friends. Oh and the Albanians will want to offload, inventory and log everything you have just in case you sell something in Albania and do it all over again when you leave into Greece.Add 2 days for that drive.
    6/ see answer 4

Quote Originally Posted by nimbusgb View Post
    I drive down and back to Preveza every season in a van. Van stays out there for 4 or 5 months and then I drive it back. I usually carry stuff for forumites in return for a small contribution towards costs so if you are interested please PM me.

1/ depends on your driving habits. I plan on 24 hours home in Sussex to Venice. If you are leaving in high season then booking the Italy ferry may be advisable so I leave about 30 hours before booked embarkation time. That gives time to relax, grab a coffee in Venice if you are early or slow down the last couple of hundred km if all is going well.
    2/ I have always found the ferry companies pretty accommodating but high season could be a problem, check the terms of your ticket.
    3/ I gave up booking a while back so I plan to arrive at the ferry terminal about 2 hours before departure time. Pitch up, pay on the day. Fortunately, unlike channel ferry operators, they are not particularly into robbing you blind just because you want to sail 'today'. If you miss a ferry there are worse places to be stranded for 24 hours than Venice Ancona, Bari and Brindisi however are different altogether!
    4/ Venice to Igounomitsa or Trieste to Igounomitsa without a doubt. Its now actually about 26 hours not 24 btw. Ancona takes just as long give or take a little and cost the same. Driving down Italy is boring, the fuel is perhaps the most expensive in Europe and the added toll will crank up another €50 to costs. If you are not able to drive it in one go ( I have, it's over 2000 km ) you will need to add another night in an hotel and the worry of your car packed with expensive gear in an Italian hotel car park!
    5/ it's a long drive via the Balkans.....It's a very long drive, the roads in Albania nearly broke a landrover for some friends. Oh and the Albanians will want to offload, inventory and log everything you have just in case you sell something in Albania and do it all over again when you leave into Greece.Add 2 days for that drive.
    6/ see answer 4
    Thanks for filling in the gaps. An excellent response all round and I thank you all for sharing your experience. I feel much more confidant and relaxed for knowing what I can expect.

nimbusgb is offline Registered User

One more thing. If you have a van or enough space you can go 'camping on deck' and use the vehicle as a camper. If it's an empty ferry then buy a deck passenger ticket and wait till the ferry sails and get to the pursers desk. You can get a cabin for a knockdown price that way sometimes.

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nimbusgb View Post
    One more thing. If you have a van or enough space you can go 'camping on deck' and use the vehicle as a camper. If it's an empty ferry then buy a deck passenger ticket and wait till the ferry sails and get to the pursers desk. You can get a cabin for a knockdown price that way sometimes.
    Minoan Lines were not offering 'camping on board' to and from Ancona in the past couple of years. They introduced two new ships that do not have the facilities for campers. Superfast still do AFAIK.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

Zen Zero is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Minoan Lines were not offering 'camping on board' to and from Ancona in the past couple of years. They introduced two new ships that do not have the facilities for campers. Superfast still do AFAIK.
    Superfast, Venturis and Agudimos I think.

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Zero View Post
    Superfast, Venturis and Agudimos I think.
    Our days of driving out are over for now, last time was two years ago so I am not up to date. The Superfast arrangements for motorhomes are excellent, completely hassle free. We liked to go Minoan because that gives us good reductions on many campsites but it was far more problematical on their previous ships, with long reversing routes to get to the aft deck. Since they replaced those ships motorhomes can be carried but camping on board is not available. They provide a cabin for the same price to be competitive but not as good as being in our own van all the way.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com