Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default still have coolent problem with Nanni

Still have a coolent problem with my Nanni 4.390TDI basically i fill coolant level to the correct level and i go for a day out in carm weather the coolant stays in the heat exchanger but if it is a rough day it dumps some water out of the Heat exchanger which leaves it very low.The engine never over heats when this happens.
    There is also no water in the oil and i have changed the heat exchanger cap as this did not look its best for a new one . I have read past post with this engine that the water was getting dumped out of the heat exchanger at 2200 revs but this is not happening to mine and the reason that was happening was due to a cracked head but if my head was cracked then surely it would happen every time i go out. Another report i have read is that sea water was getting in to the heat exchanger and pressurizing it which then dumped the coolant water. But again surely if this was the case then it would happen every time and also the coolant level would be full and not empty.

My thinking is that when it is rough the engine is under more strain which generates more compression and then which forces gases to enter the heat exchanger and end result a pressurized heat exchanger.

what thoughts do people have or has any one had the same issue.

Thanks Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jamie langstone View Post
    Still have a coolent problem with my Nanni 4.390TDI basically i fill coolant level to the correct level and i go for a day out in carm weather the coolant stays in the heat exchanger but if it is a rough day it dumps some water out of the Heat exchanger which leaves it very low.The engine never over heats when this happens.
    There is also no water in the oil and i have changed the heat exchanger cap as this did not look its best for a new one . I have read past post with this engine that the water was getting dumped out of the heat exchanger at 2200 revs but this is not happening to mine and the reason that was happening was due to a cracked head but if my head was cracked then surely it would happen every time i go out. Another report i have read is that sea water was getting in to the heat exchanger and pressurizing it which then dumped the coolant water. But again surely if this was the case then it would happen every time and also the coolant level would be full and not empty.

My thinking is that when it is rough the engine is under more strain which generates more compression and then which forces gases to enter the heat exchanger and end result a pressurized heat exchanger.

what thoughts do people have or has any one had the same issue.

Thanks Jamie
    Have you got an expansion bottle fitted ?

Quote Originally Posted by aquapower View Post
    Have you got an expansion bottle fitted ?
    I do not have a expansion bottle and there has never been one . It is getting frustrating to why it does not happen all the time if it was a head gasket.

Taste the water in the header tank, if it's sweet then then that is your anti freeze/inhibitor, if it's salty then there's your answer. Also to check head gasket, remove filler cap start engine ans watch the flow of water, it may fly up out the filler hole as soon as the engine fires (residual pressure) or as the thermostat opens you will see needle bubbles crossing the tank, if so then suspect head gasket Can you see where the water might be going? i.e stains on block or cooling system parts, even a loose or broken clip? or perished rubber tubes and pipe work. On our ancient Fords the book says fill to within 2 inches of filler neck.
    Last edited by omega2; 10-03-14 at 09:50.

Quote Originally Posted by omega2 View Post
    Taste the water in the header tank, if it's sweet then then that is your anti freeze/inhibitor, if it's salty then there's your answer. Also to check head gasket, remove filler cap start engine ans watch the flow of water, it may fly up out the filler hole as soon as the engine fires (residual pressure) or as the thermostat opens you will see needle bubbles crossing the tank, if so then suspect head gasket Can you see where the water might be going? i.e stains on block or cooling system parts, even a loose or broken clip? or perished rubber tubes and pipe work. On our ancient Fords the book says fill to within 2 inches of filler neck.
    Thanks for the info a few things to try . The manual does not specify where the level of water should be on the 4.390TDI but it does on the T4 which i think is the later engine.

just had a chat with a technical guy at peachmant and he seems to think i could do with expansion tank to allow for the expansion and he said they should have fitted one when they designed the engine. Or do think it is another way of getting a few pennies off me.

just had a chat with a technical guy at peachmant and he seems to think i could do with expansion tank to allow for the expansion and he said they should have fitted one when they designed the engine. Or do think it is another way of getting a few pennies off me.
    this sounds a logical step to take, and surely one of the cheaper mods to do, shouldn't be that expensive...

any good? You can get for half the price, but this has a slight glass, something you might find helpful!"
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5L-Unive...item3a8c8f59a5
    Last edited by Firefly625; 10-03-14 at 15:08.

Well it seems that after trying a few things with regards to my coolant problem it looks like i have a failed head gasket or a cracked head. Looking at a few 4x4 forums it seems that the Toyota 1kz engine is well known for having cracked heads on the forth cylinder and my nanni is based on this engine. There are plenty of air bubbles in the heat exchanger when i looked in the filler neck. So as they say off with the head.

Default head is off

Well it seems that after trying a few things with regards to my coolant problem it looks like i have a failed head gasket or a cracked head. Looking at a few 4x4 forums it seems that the Toyota 1kz engine is well known for having cracked heads on the forth cylinder and my nanni is based on this engine. There are plenty of air bubbles in the heat exchanger when i looked in the filler neck. So as they say off with the head.
    Well i have taken the head off and i have done a dye test to see if there is and cracks on the head face but none were found. Not the beast picture of head.
    photo(1).jpg
    I now am going to send to an engineers to have it pressure tested to see if there are any internal cracks and also have the head skimmed if there are no internal defects found. I have found by looking at several forums that the AMC heads have a good reputation and are a lot cheaper that the nanni dealer so if all else fails I can get a new head for a around £850 . But hopefully the head will be ok and it will be just a matter of getting a new head gasket set and fitting the head back on.

Good news with the head i took it to Banda engineering and they done a pressure test and confirmed there was no crack. They completed a full overhall of the head for a small sum of £120 . I managed to source a head kit and head bolts and also all the service parts for my engine from http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=1030&vid=1368 with out the Nanni dealer prices. The head is back on and all bolted down but i am waiting for a few gaskets from the Nanni Dealer for the heat exchanger and intercooler. I hope to run the engine early in the week .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast