Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Redevelopment at the Folly

OK. Something needs to be done, but is this proposal the right answer? Have a look at the proposal and the objections by Solent Protection Society
    http://www.solentprotection.org/2014...lopment-folly/

Don't think the SPS have visited the Folly very often have they

"SPS consider that the front riverside houses are too close to the bank such that they will be disruptive to the tranquil zone"
    Moody 31

Quote Originally Posted by ariadnemyc View Post
    OK. Something needs to be done, but is this proposal the right answer? Have a look at the proposal and the objections by Solent Protection Society
    http://www.solentprotection.org/2014...lopment-folly/
    Why does something need to be done? OK, it's a year or two since I was there but I loved the place - the Folly Inn itself as a pub doesn't do it for as not "dancing on the tables to pub music" type of person but I thought the area was fantastic.

The site north of the Folly seems to have been waiting for some sort of redevelopment for many years.

This can only be an improvement but the huge size of the hotel is apparent when you look at the visuals and see how large it is compared to the Folly Inn.

The houses on the shore line look nice though. I could imagine myself living there with a little boat on a mooring in the river. I could go food shopping by boat up to Cowes or Newport. Or for a pint by boat. Pleasant thoughts.

Wonder what the prices will be?

Cheers

Garold

Ariadnes observations are about right ime .

Development is just that-develop a site to maximise it.

Anyone know the developer, their track record, recent examples completed?

The visual impact by night and by day would clearly be noteworth. irredeemable of course, if you like, such is the nature of progress and redevelopment.
    The now raised number of flats and houses proposed is interesting.. ( its always about selling units , the rest is window dressing with trees, sustainable work units blah blah, whatever gets it thru planning).
    Waterfront condos make profit, the rest I would guess is a sop to perceived and current planing criteria..

Am I agin it? Not really, I don't go there , but it should -i feel- be arranged so as not to dominate what is quite a pretty piece of river.

Well done Ariadne for the heads up

I thought ' the area to the North of the folly ' was farmland ?!

I'm all for any boost for the IOW, too many skilled people underused, but I have to say I'm not sure what this development would do for the locals; for me as a yottie only requiring a berth for the night and a pint in among countryside and history, it would be a great loss and probably cross the place off my list - and it's one of my favourite spots...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I thought ' the area to the North of the folly ' was farmland ?!

I'm all for any boost for the IOW, too many skilled people underused, but I have to say I'm not sure what this development would do for the locals; for me as a yottie only requiring a berth for the night and a pint in among countryside and history, it would be a great loss and probably cross the place off my list - and it's one of my favourite spots...
    Have to say, I cannot picture what it is, but a look at Google Maps (satellite view) would suggest otherwise. Large sheds, pretty derelict when the image was taken (you can see a big hole in one roof), and a sizeable area of concrete or tarmac "hard". So, not farmland, but there are lots of trees at present.

I don't think the plan does away with the pub itself.

Just NE there was the old SARO works ( something to do with Saunders Roe as in flying boats, then Hawker Siddeley Group later on ) but it's not large as I recall, I've been there a lot but not recently.

It might not replace the pub but it would utterly change the character of the area, and not for the better; I doubt locals would be buying the apartments, what's really in it for the Island, as opposed to The Developer ?...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

It is a large derelict eyesore - from the road and from the water - it's the old plywood factory. It will fill the gap between the Folly and the other housing development which is spreading down to the river south of the old power station. It is a brown field site and the development will be far more pleasing to the eye than the huge construction filling most of the view on the other side of the river up at the old cement works, it will barely be visible from the pub. Local feeling seems to generally support it.

There is a picture in this article which shows it's position in relation to the pub: http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/late...mes-51031.aspx
    Last edited by l'escargot; 20-03-14 at 18:35.
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

If they want to sell the apartments common sense dictates that the development must make the area attractive.

If treehuggers or protection societies are against it my first act is to be for it. My second is to research the facts and the third is armed with the facts my first act of voting against the tree huggers was correct. Let them that want to leave everything as it is live in a field of grass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast