Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Oyster 435 - views & opinions?

Has anyone sailed one of these and can give an accurate indication of sea keeping, accommodation and overall fit out / build quality?

Merci!

Talk to Demonboy.

Sailed his 435 Esper extensively & now re-fettling her.

See here.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...light=demonboy

PS: I think leaking chain plates can be an issue.

If you are thinking of buying one, I can put you in touch with some owners through the Oyster Owners group that I run on Google. PM me with you email address and I will see what I can do to help

TudorSailor

I delivered one back from Faro a couple of years back.
    Nothing much happens below 8 knots although as soon as it hit 9 or above she was a dream.
    In big sea's and 35 - 40 knts across Biscay she was steady and always gave the impression of solidity and felt secure.
    Down below in a blow was weird as as soon as you got below everything went quiet except for trying to sleep above the auto helm in the aft cabin.
    The galley is really well positioned and I remember having a three course roast chicken meal in 20+ knots.

That said the centre cockpit does feel a little exposed, especially at night in a blow.
    The Wheel on this one was possibly a little too big and forced you out of the cockpit to get round it.

She handled well for me under power and found I didn't really need the bow thruster.
    We pulled into Alderney as it was above 40kn and forecast for more.
    We left 2 days later in a 25 kt SW, caught the double tide at Dover and was tied up at Southwold 30 hours later,
    an average of almost 8 knts.
    I've done that trip on many boats bigger and smaller and that was the best one by some margin.

I'd say that 95% of the journey was steered by George, the autohelm and even with a large quartering sea she held a stable course with few if any scares.
    I used to think that it was the autohelm that was good but having used identical autohelms on other boats I realise now that it was the boat that made life easy.

If I had the money I'd have bought her.

We have the Oyster 45 and would agree with a lot of what has been said above. We can always cook down below, it is very quiet no matter what the conditions and our boat looks after us better than we do her.

Twice came close to buying one cos I think they have the best layout of that size centre cockpit available. Need one with straight settees not curved ones.
    Had there been a decent one available 7 years ago would have bought it. Good ones are getting rare, the teak decks are a huge liability.
    Real men do it two handed

A well cared for one is an excellent used buy.

I have friends who have had them and we cruised extensively in company with them from the UK to the Caribbean.

I was always impressed with the ride.
    John Rodriguez Yachts - Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

Quote Originally Posted by northcave View Post
    Has anyone sailed one of these and can give an accurate indication of sea keeping, accommodation and overall fit out / build quality?

Merci!
    We seriously considered a 435 (Night Sky)when we were looking to buy.
    Test sail and everything - was quite smitten with her.
    Then current boat (similar build quality/size) came along at 2/3 the prize...

I quite like Oysters, but can't help but thinking that part of the price is just for 'the badge' - if you know what I mean.
    www.guapa.pn
    "Mieux vaut flotter sans grâce que couler en beauté…"

Quote Originally Posted by OR4751 View Post
    We seriously considered a 435 (Night Sky)when we were looking to buy.
    Test sail and everything - was quite smitten with her.
    Then current boat (similar build quality/size) came along at 2/3 the prize...

I quite like Oysters, but can't help but thinking that part of the price is just for 'the badge' - if you know what I mean.
    Out of interest what sort of boat are you referring to as having a similar build quality and size for 2/3 the price?

We've owned our Oyster435 for just over 4 years and are convinced that we made the right choice for our long term live aboard plans. The build quality and interior joinery are fantastic and the boat has a very reassuring solidity. After 20 years and many modifications and additions from the 3 owners, the electrics are becoming rather convoluted and threading additional wiring behind the woodwork is not easy. The service we receive from Oyster is remarkably good given the age of our boat.
    We plan to leave the UK this summer and a 3 month test sail along the French Coast last year has led us to add a bow thruster to compensate for our limited parking skills in Crowded French marinas.
    We are delighted with our Oyster and very much looking forward to living on her permanently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast