Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Oil lamp smoke

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    440

    Default Oil lamp smoke

    I've finally lit my oil lamp for the first time after it being an ornament for long enough ,
    How do you stop the black smoke that comes from it and what is best for cleaning the glass I only had it lit for five minutes and some of the glass and the heat shield went black

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    I've finally lit my oil lamp for the first time after it being an ornament for long enough ,
    How do you stop the black smoke that comes from it and what is best for cleaning the glass I only had it lit for five minutes and some of the glass and the heat shield went black
    The black smoke comes from unburned fuel. Make sure the wick isn't turned up too high, and make sure that it's evenly trimmed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    I've finally lit my oil lamp for the first time after it being an ornament for long enough ,
    How do you stop the black smoke that comes from it and what is best for cleaning the glass I only had it lit for five minutes and some of the glass and the heat shield went black
    Sounds like you want to turn the wick down a bit... Once lit, I'd wind it all the way down until it starts almost going out... then back up again without it going all sooty. If it fails to burn evenly and cleanly, you may need to trim the wick...

    As for cleaning it... I'd just try washing up liquid in water...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    I have found some difference in lamp oil. While most expensive the "burn bright" stuff from the chandlers does seem to give a nicer and less smoke free flame. I use my lamps quite a bit but don't get through more than one bottle a season - so the 5 it costs doesn't really matter.
    Looking for Cheverton boats to feature on http://cheverton.org.uk/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,964

    Default

    It will smoke for a number of reasons, as others have said the wick could be too high, also the air flow could be poor caused by an incorrectly seated chimney, or the wick may be uneven. Failing that the fuel may be the wrong type or quality. Often, to clean the glass, all you need to do is wipe it with a dry cloth. If it is a bit more stuborn some fairy liquid as long as it is not hot. You don't say what fuel you are using.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmagowan View Post
    It will smoke for a number of reasons, as others have said the wick could be too high, also the air flow could be poor caused by an incorrectly seated chimney, or the wick may be uneven. Failing that the fuel may be the wrong type or quality. Often, to clean the glass, all you need to do is wipe it with a dry cloth. If it is a bit more stuborn some fairy liquid as long as it is not hot. You don't say what fuel you are using.
    Thanks I was using the good stuff from the chandlers it looks like I had the wick up to high is there a scented oil you can use

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Where do you buy replacement wick? I bought some for my recently acquired boat, which came with a lamp but only 20mm wick which wouldn't reach the oil. I measured the old wick and ordered some on line but it is about 2mm too wide to roll smoothly through the "head" of the lamp. Any advice much appreciated. I can't remember the measurements but will have to go to the boat to check - hard life eh?
    ______________________
    Ennui: Can I be bothered?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,910

    Default

    Simon, I went in my local hardware store and they had two sizes on a roll. When I asked for 6" she looked at me funny so I doubled my request to 40p worth, it was worth getting the scissors out for so much.

    If you don't find any give me a shout and I'll bring some up.

    Edit, that place in Windermere will have some shurely?
    Bob.
    Any bull in this post may be composted.

  9. #9
    prv is online now Registered User
    Location : Southampton
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    it looks like I had the wick up to high
    As others have said, it does also depend what the end of the wick is like. If it's rageddy with tufts then the tufty bits will tend to have a bigger flame and cause smoke. You want a smooth trimmed edge.

    Pete

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaplane View Post
    Edit, that place in Windermere will have some shurely?
    Who's Shurley ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •