Default Albin Ballad rig tension

Yesterday was the first time we got out properly on Triola (where does the year (and the flipping season) go), ho hum. I noted the shrouds were somewhat loose, and on inspection when looking up the mast when she was creaming along upwind there was a bend in the mast above the lowers to leeward. I had tightened up the backstay before our departure (as that had to be taken off to lift her in some months ago), and I have a backstay tensioner on there too, however, even the forestay with its roller furling Jib in the luff groove on it was bowing out.

The mast still has the requisite rake to aft that sets the sails nicely and has her storming along to windward, I just want to make sure she is set up correctly, and most importantly, the pointy bit stays pointing upwards!

My planned approach is take out the split pins on the shrouds and crank them tighter, then go sailing again and have a look up my mast and make sure she isn't going all banana like again. I'll likely do the same on the forestay. Any words of wisdom for doing this 'right'? Anyone know what the rig tension should be of a 1970s Albin Ballad? I would prefer to avoid the expense of getting a rigger in (and besides, I like learning and doing this stuff myself).

I used to own an Albin Ballad. At the base of the mast step there is a steel member encased in GRP. It is behind and underneath all the woodwork and very difficult to see.

On my boat the steel rusted and spalled the GRP. This in turn lead to the mast dropping by about 1". At the same time the webs the bulkheads are bolted to started to pull away from the hull. Despite this being a latent defect, Navigators wouldn't cough up. Rather than throw good money after bad, I sold her for spares or repair.

Moral of the story, if your rig has started to slacken off, don't wind it on without a bit of investigation first!

Hello Michael, I have seen all the posts from a similar episode (praps the same one?) on Albin Ballad Owners association and had a very good long look at the mast step and it looks fine. I think my rig slackening is more to do with being on a mooring all last year through those winds and having her getting thrown around a bit. I've sailed her pretty hard (well, before we had our 2 year old!) and she has remained rigid. What the members told us to look out for was rusty water and cracking in the GRP forward of the mast step. Recent marine survey earlier this year came up trumps too, so I'm confident she is solid. My rig is over ten years old though (on my todo list), so I think a little stretch is to be expected.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Michael

Here is a good guide from Kemp Sails about tuning a masthead rig.
    http://www.kempsails.com/technical-d...rigs/file.html
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    Michael

Here is a good guide from Kemp Sails about tuning a masthead rig.
    http://www.kempsails.com/technical-d...rigs/file.html
    I compiled this very similar one http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com...ngrigging.aspx quite a few years ago and have always used it. Earlier this season I was lent a Loos gauge and was pleased to see that the values it gave were in perfect agreement with my own method.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    I compiled this very similar one http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com...ngrigging.aspx quite a few years ago and have always used it. Earlier this season I was lent a Loos gauge and was pleased to see that the values it gave were in perfect agreement with my own method.
    Sorry I did not know you had such a good guide online. I like the simplicity of your single reefing and will probably rig my boom the same.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Thanks, both are cracking guides - best tighten em up then.