There are no charts I know of.

Anyone got a sketch map of the route?
    I posted a link Page 1 No10.

http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&...79189006,d.d2s

Perfect, thanks for that and the video.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    There are no charts I know of.

Anyone got a sketch map of the route?
    I suggest you use the IGN 1:25,000 topographic map, which is a useful aid in the absence of any charts. It portrays the channel reasonably accurately, but of course without any depths.

When I first went up there in 2004 I used the North Brittany pilot book as navigation - this was in a 42ft long keeler with 6ft draft - bit foolhardy especially as we ran aground within spitting distance of the lock.

We had to stop and anchor earlier on because of pea souper fog and missed the tide - got there in the end though

Basic, best wishes to Udo if you see him from Steve. The chap who owns the drifter and lives in the terrace used to be a classic boat broker and bought this one in about 2005 - thought he would have sold it or got rid of by now.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvan1 View Post
    When I first went up there in 2004 I used the North Brittany pilot book as navigation - this was in a 42ft long keeler with 6ft draft - bit foolhardy especially as we ran aground within spitting distance of the lock.

We had to stop and anchor earlier on because of pea souper fog and missed the tide - got there in the end though

Basic, best wishes to Udo if you see him from Steve. The chap who owns the drifter and lives in the terrace used to be a classic boat broker and bought this one in about 2005 - thought he would have sold it or got rid of by now.
    I go up there two or three times a year to see friends in Chateaulin and I know Udo quite well so will pass on your message.
    People often touch in the last couple of hundred yards before the lock but it's only soft mud and if you are going slowly as you should be its easy to get off. As I said earlier its the shallowest stretch in the river and it happens because people go up the river too early.
    Aim to pass the old warships at the bottom of the river two and a half hours before HW Brest and make 4 knots through the water so you have lots of time to admire the scenery. HW at the lock is about 20 minutes after HW Brest so you will have plenty of time. The channel is easy to follow all the way up once you realize it generally follows the outside of the bends. You should be able to go up with 2.5m draft with no problems if you follow this timing.
    You can do it from Camaret with a fair wind on one tide but I usually stop by the white farmhouse on the right bank of the river and enjoy a quiet night on the river. Have anchored there in some very strong winds in midwinter and holding is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
    I suggest you use the IGN 1:25,000 topographic map, which is a useful aid in the absence of any charts. It portrays the channel reasonably accurately, but of course without any depths.
    The problem is that the channel and depths are constantly changing. Two years ago there was much less water than usual. This year channels were deeper but had definitely moved in places so charts or maps are not helpful. Best advice is use your sounder and keep well to the outside of bends and proceed slowly if you are unsure.

Default Re: Video of l'aulne.

Hi, I am planning to go up the River Aulne at the end of May 2019. I draw 1.1m. If I time it to be at the lock gate (from the sea) at HW, can anyone advise me what the coefficient of the tide needs to be please? There is a 35% coefficient that week so the tide will not move much.
    Any advice and assistance would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    Looks good. Thank you for posting.
    Can I sail there with a draught of 1.7m and a mast height of about 15m? If so I might take on the challenge next year. Any other factors to think about?
    My boat has 1.7m draught and it was OK for me. I don't remember what the cof was. Keep to the outside of the bends.

By the way, the Carrefour adjacent to the little pontoon at Chateaulin had an extraordinarily good selection of whiskies.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by guernseyman View Post
    By the way, the Carrefour adjacent to the little pontoon at Chateaulin had an extraordinarily good selection of whiskies.
    I got aground near there once when heading up river. The water level was very low for some reason (maintenance on the lock, if I remember correctly). There was a red buoy in the middle of the river and, knowing no better, I left it to port and promptly went aground.

It turned out not to be a navigational mark and had I been more experienced I would have realised that it wouldn't be. It was, in fact, a mooring buoy used by the local rowing club.

Whilst I was joining ropes together to make a line long enough to reach one of the the trees conveniently located on the bank, the rowing club's RIB came out and hauled me off the mud.

Then we continued into town and had a pleasant lunch.
    Last edited by Poignard; 28-04-19 at 09:14.
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123