Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you for that. The makers claim 0.55A on standby and 0.9A on max receiving for that model, so in line with your measurements. It is a big increase in power, but still modest in the grand scale of things. I will probably fit one anyway as I will be selling Scallywag and the new (40 year old) boat has an old radio without DSC and no AIS or GPS. I am not keen on lots of electronics, so having three in one box is a bonus, as well as simplifying installation. The one aerial is a big attraction for me. I take your point about a better aerial and cable setup.

Quote Originally Posted by ScallywagII View Post
    Thank you for that. so having three in one box is a bonus, as well as simplifying installation.
    But if it fails you lose three items not one.
    John Apps

Quote Originally Posted by Glayva View Post
    But if it fails you lose three items not one.
    Very good point John. Another way of expressing the same might be: only one thing to go wrong not four. If the GPS or the NMEA link cable failed, the AIS would not function as a proximity alarm and the DSC would not work on the radio.

As with any other kit on board it comes down to assessing how necessary it is for your intended passage. If it is essential, then you either need a spare or some means of repairing or substituting an alternative that will achieve the same purpose. This will be as true of a VHF as a mainsail, or a bottle of chilli sauce. Assume that anything can break at sea, because at some time it has happened on some yacht.

Len

Default Re: Standard Horizon GX2200E

I have the gx2200E. How do you go about linking the AIS to a Raymarine A98. via the nmea? or do I to buy another expensive box?

A look at the Raymarine website says nmea0183 is included. As it is on the gx2200e. So just connect the correct wires perhaps? If you want to go to NMEA2000 (as I did) you will need a box. I use an antisense unit
    I started off with nothing, and still have most of it left.

I was on a chums boat for 3 months that had one of those or similar.
    The problem I found was that evrything was crammed in on such a small screen. The ship icons are disproportionately large and so the screen seemed full of the blighters. It was very difficult therefore to work out what tactics/avoiding action to take as there didn't seem to be any gaps. Maybe as a supplement to mk 1 eyeball but I'm not that convinced.
    Maybe some users have worked out a canny way to make max use it; I'd really like to know as I do tend to miss the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatoy87uk View Post
    I have the gx2200E. How do you go about linking the AIS to a Raymarine A98. via the nmea? or do I to buy another expensive box?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12