Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vid is offline Registered User

Default US sailing qualifications

It's time to do my Coastal Skipper practical, but rather than do it in the UK I am toying with the idea of doing it in America and make it a bit more of a holiday. I know there are sailing schools in Florida, and no doubt elsewhere, who run the US Sailing courses.

Does anyone have any experience of these qualifications and how they compare to the RYA standards. Also, if there are any downsides to having one compared to a RYA qualification.

Any ideas on good US sailing schools also appreciated.

Many thanks

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

alant is offline Registered User

Default Re: US sailing qualifications

Try http://www.yachtmaster.com/. They run 'RYA' type courses.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Don't forget their buoys are all wrong. WRONG way round in channels, WRONG colours (yes, thats how colours is spelt) for general bouyage. They also pronounce them as "boooeeys"..

AND you'll come home useing words like "Prioritize".... *shudder*

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Neraida on 12/07/2004 08:44 (server time).</FONT></P>

beachbum is offline Registered User

... but that's not how you spell BUOYS!

(After all, if it were spelt like that "booees" would be correct, wouldn't it?)

<hr width=100% size=1>Nobody is perfect.
    I am a nobody.
    Therefore I am perfect. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Nobody is perfect. I am nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

Ha! The wonders of post editing... It was very early tho....

<hr width=100% size=1>

My knowledge of this is a bit of out of date. However, it used to be the case that US qualifications were much less well regarded than UK ones. Basic skipper licensing for pleasure boats is a state rather than a national function: these were brought together under North American State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) certification. The US Coast Guard also runs a training and qualification system under its Recreational Boating Safety Scheme. Their basic qualification was, I think, the OUVP (commonly known as the six-pack) which permits skippering of small boats with up to 6 passengers. The criticism of these qualifications is that they are too theoretical with no practical examination, and so lack credibility.

As a result there have been moves in recent years to develop training programmes similar to ours. http://www.ispa.com/>ISPA</A> (Original Version) where there are a number of regulars from Florida who would both give you the current position and point you in the direction of the better schools there.

tjfmmaes is offline Registered User

My wife and I actually did our qualifications in the US - we took ASA (American Sailing Asssociation) course 101 (keel boat sailing) and 103 (coastal cruising) which were OK. They are pretty thorough on theory & safety and following the US Coast Guard's safety rules. I would say their levels don't quite map to RYA but a whole thread was devoted to this

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=342093&page=& view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post342093>http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=342093&page=& view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post342093</A>

We thoroughly enjoyed the approach and thought that sailing in Chesapeake bay was just fantastic. I feel that the Americans might have a slightly more laid back attitude as well, which does help beginners like my wife who is now a firm convert and we actually bought a boat recently.

You can also have a look at www.asa.com,

Good luck

Thomas

<hr width=100% size=1>

we don't have anything like what you have in England. courses are here and some people take them for their captains lic for prof boat skippering, sport fishing, water taxi, basically anybody that charges a fee etc. the only 'gov' course is a basic course that can be done over computer from boat us and states for reduced ins. rate. takes about 20 min. take yours at home or be sure that what ever you take here will be reconized when you get home, and would not take our schools' word about it either. check with 'www.chapman.org'

<hr width=100% size=1>

I have an RYA Coastal Skipper Cert (shorebased and on the water) and a US Sailing Bareboat Cert, I am also an ASA Certified Instructor. The two systems are not easily comparable so I would not like to say which one is better. Also the US has two bodies giving out qualifications, the United States Sailing Association (US Sailing) and the American Sailing Association (ASA) The ASA has been giving out qualifications longer, but US Sailing is the official governing body of the sport in the US.
    I have no personal experience of any East Coast schools but Blue Water Sailing (ASA) and Annapolis Sailing School (US Sailing) both have good names as does Steve Colgate School. Contacts for both organizations are www.american-sailing.com and www.ussailing.org
    Yes as another person pointed out the US uses a diferent system of buoyage ILLA-B instead of ILLA-A the B system is in use in all of North and South America as well as Japan and the Phillipines and is essentially backwards compared to the A system. However you can always take a correspondence I course on this later in the UK here I can recomend International Yachtmaster Academy (if theRYA still lets them use that name) in Southampton.
    Would your American qualification be recognised in the UK, mabe not, but I am sure you would have fun getting it.
    Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

john_morris_uk is offline Registered User

If you read my bio you will see that I have an interest in this matter from a professional point of view.

Rather than argue the pros and cons of the "so called yachtmaster" courses and exams that are run by a certain company in Florida and elsewhere you might ask why I have re-examined a number of people who had been through this system for their RYA Yachtmaster tickets?

These were people who were wanting to work in the marine industry and who found that the RYA tickets are the ones that a large proportion of the industry recognise and demand.

If you don't want to take your exams in the UK there are RYA exam centres all over the world now. (NZ and Ozz - South Africa, South France, Thailand, Gibralter etc etc...) Ask the RYA for the latest news.

Please note that I don't speak for the RYA - all examiners are independant.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    Wishing things away is not effective.