Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Wind Vanes - Do they work as well as we would like?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    I only have experience of the Navik, which worked superbly with my Vega. I shall fit it to the new boat (10m, 6t) and report back...
    I've fitted a Navik to Avy-J (30ft, 5 tons) and also hope to report back soon.

- W

The lines need to be tight. but not too tight! Harken blocks a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I have a Sea Feather on my boat, but it has been out of service for years and I use a tiller pilot instead.

When the Sea Feather worked it was wonderful, but I found it extremely difficult to set up. It had a tendency to get into a funny state where the water vane was right over one way and the tiller was right over the other but the boat didn't turn back on course and simply sailed sideways in the wrong direction. I think it was a mixture of an unbalanced sailplan (rolling away some jib helped) and huge sensitivity to any slack at all in the rope + chain control circuit. Unfortunately you have to have slack in that to get the chain over the tiller drive peg, and that was just enough to mess things up.

I'm not giving up on it, but I think it's going to take a day or two of careful experimentation to get the installation right. The makers were very helpful and offered to diagnore from a video of it (not) working but closed before I could get that done.
    Can you get to Dartmouth? If you can I am sure Lee would come sailing with you and sort it out. re slack in the chain, not really needed as you can un-clip, put over the tiller and re-clip. On occasion, I have found that a useful way to engage / un-engage.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Can you get to Dartmouth? If you can I am sure Lee would come sailing with you and sort it out. re slack in the chain, not really needed as you can un-clip, put over the tiller and re-clip. On occasion, I have found that a useful way to engage / un-engage.
    Unfortunately Dartmouth would be a bit of a trek from the Clyde, but I'll give Lee a call and ask. Thanks for the recommendation.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Just to add to the general thread...

I built a Hebridean from a kit late last year. Only really got a chance to use it last month on a 4 week cruise. It performed very well indeed, including an 85 mile jaunt overnight from Northern Ireland to the Isle of Man, and the 115 mile leg from the Isle of Man back to the Clyde. I'm single handed, so some form of self steering is a necessity.

I was particularly impressed by how well it steered downwind, in fact on a dead down wind run it tracked true to the wind and corrected shifts quickly. It's a good option if you are fairly handy at woodwork and assembly, and was an interesting project.

I also have a tiller pilot that gets used when motoring, and both pieces of kit have a place on board.

I have a Hydra Auto steer trim tab on my twister. It's purely ornamental as there is so much slop in the shaft to the tab that i can move the input arm hard over without the tab moving!!

That's not to say the system is no good but i'm working on a new shaft drive to remove the two universal joints and replace with a single bevel gear. It will be a winter project and the last chance for the Hydra. If that doesn't fix it it's getting replaced by a solar panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
    I have a Hydra Auto steer trim tab on my twister. It's purely ornamental as there is so much slop in the shaft to the tab that i can move the input arm hard over without the tab moving!!

That's not to say the system is no good but i'm working on a new shaft drive to remove the two universal joints and replace with a single bevel gear. It will be a winter project and the last chance for the Hydra. If that doesn't fix it it's getting replaced by a solar panel.
    Interesting, may I politely point out that you don't need to accept play in U/J's, and they are cheap, as are shaft bushes.
    Also could the play be elsewhere, eg pintles?
    I would love to see photos of your arrangement if possible.
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 06-08-19 at 05:43.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_w View Post
    The lines need to be tight. but not too tight! Harken blocks a necessity.
    Very interesting, why Harken in particular? Is it because they are ball or roller bearing instead of plain bushes, to reduce friction?
    It's a point I was intending to optimise on my Aries tiller installation (with 4 turning blocks...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Very interesting, why Harken in particular? Is it because they are ball or roller bearing instead of plain bushes, to reduce friction?
    It's a point I was intending to optimise on my Aries tiller installation (with 4 turning blocks...)
    We use a Windpilot steering our heavy 44ft centre cockpit Van de Stadt. The Windpilot is very powerful. Our boat wheel has 3.5 turns lock to lock. Most boats are normally about 2 turns lock to lock. As a result of the number of turns our system has, the Windpilot didn't do enough steering when I first installed it. In a large quartering sea, she would be pushed off course and the Windpilot simple wouldn't turn the wheel far enough to get her back on course. I installed a 1:2 pulley system in the lines such that the wheel now turns twice as much for the same line movement at the Windpilot. It does this even with the pendulum on the Windpilot adjusted for maximum leverage. We are very happy with the Windpilot. It takes up minimal space on our transom when not in use and can be folded away and deployed at sea. A great bit of kit.
    We also have a powerful below decks autopilot and a complete spare. I believe you need both if you are sailing with just two people. Like having an extra crew member. In rough weather the Windpilot performs every bit as well as the autopilot

IMHO Harken blocks with ball bearings are required for pendulum servo tiller/wheel lines. They also come with a lifetime guarantee. If it breaks, they replace.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast