Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Standard Vs Fully-battened mainsail on cruisers or racers

A fully battened sail works better, looks better, flakes easier, reefs easier.

So why doesn't everyone have them? I'm genuinely tempted to get one.

(Fwiw I've sailed thousands of miles with one on other boats so it's an informed opinion)

Any thoughts / opinions / advice?
    RM 880 || Twitter: @YachtRemi

Because they cost more (I went for Ronstan cars which were over £1k in total).

But the whole set up was worth every penny.
    was BIGNICK, SkyTalk, MoodyNick in the past.

Very few racing boats use them so maybe they're not so perfect. Perhaps not worth the extra weight at that level of performance?

You don't see fully battened mains much on smaller racing monos. I've never sailed on a boat with one in 20+ years of handicap racing. The reason is definitely not cost.

Personally I like to be able to ease the kicker and depower the main when sailing downwind with the kite up in gusty conditions.

Also I think a standard main responds better to the kind of bendy fractional rig I prefer. How do you get a fully battened main with a big roach really, really flat?

Well I am pure cruiser, you know "hoist the rags on the sticks and wait till we get there." My stick don't bend and it is a rare day when I think about halyard tension or vang.

I love my full length battens and Rutgers with lazy jacks and a stack pack.. At the end of the day as I singlehand my 44 ft cutter into an anchorage I can release the halyard and hear my main rattle down unattended and stow itself while I carry on to the bow and worry about anchoring for the night.

If I was to shred it today I would order another exactly the same.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

I have a Corribee with two main sails - a 'regular' sail and a fully battened loose footed sail. I use the regular one while the fully battened one rests in it's bag. Is there any reason I should use one over the other? I don't race, so I guess I must be cruising.

As well as the additional cost, I believe they are more prone to chafe, less easy to depower, and for racing they certainly used to have an unfavourable effect on your rating.

Having said all that, they'd certainly be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ronsurf View Post
    I have a Corribee with two main sails - a 'regular' sail and a fully battened loose footed sail. I use the regular one while the fully battened one rests in it's bag. Is there any reason I should use one over the other? I don't race, so I guess I must be cruising.
    Dont ask the question! Tell us the answer why you use one rather than the other
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    I can release the halyard and hear my main rattle down unattended and stow itself while I carry on to the bow and worry about anchoring for the night. If I was to shred it today I would order another exactly the same.
    +1

Never went to the expense of changing to full battens on previous boats but this one came that way and I like it. Better shape at low winds and, as TQA says, it drops nicely into stack pack. Only drawback is it's heavier to hoist.

I use the regular sail because I've always used the regular sail! I was kind of keeping the fully battened one as a spare... Maybe it should be the other way round if the fully battened one offers better performance.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast