Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post

Unless one can tension each batten to suit the camber required on the day I don't see much point, they're also prone to breakage wth resulting hassle and costs.

The complexity, potential for a nasty problem ( polite version ! ) and silly cost cars, trapped mpoisture all the way along and chafe at the luff are just a few of the other reasons for an experienced sailor to avoid them, if I couldn't tune my sail without taking it down and setting batten tensions quite often - every day, every few hours, every few minutes according to how I felt, it would be a right pain.
    I really think you are more than a little wrong in your assessment of fully battened sails
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 27-12-14 at 18:07. Reason: Omitted the phrase - useless **** talking drivel as usual-
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

You would, just for the sake of an argument, but to a sailor fully battenend mains are ugly, and it gets worse from there.

Useful if tuned individually batten by batten on racing boats, otherwise a fashion statement.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

You would, just for the sake of an argument, but to a sailor fully battenend mains are ugly, and it gets worse from there.

Useful if tuned individually batten by batten on racing boats, otherwise a fashion statement.
    Beauty or ugliness is subjective so I'm not going to disagree with your opinion; there is no right or wrong. On your other points (which I don't recognise from my experience of FB mains), if you don't want one, don't have one. Simples.
    Last edited by AngusMcDoon; 27-12-14 at 18:41.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings

Seajet obviously got rubbish Christmas presents. Maybe a boxed set of Victor Meldrew DVDs.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Seajet obviously got rubbish Christmas presents. Maybe a boxed set of Victor Meldrew DVDs.
    No TK quite good actually, inc a waterproof camera which I hope to bore you with.

I base my comments re fully battenned mains on experience as always.

I had a great Christmas, hope you did too.

SJ
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Ugly ??? Funny way to describe a mainsail. My motor sailor has never raced nor ever will and no part of it could be called a fashion statement, certainly not the very pedestrian mainsail, which on its articulated luff needs no cars. It sets well without individual batten tuning (how would you do that?) and it drives better and points higher than the partially battened sail it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnac1e View Post
    Ugly ??? Funny way to describe a mainsail. My motor sailor has never raced nor ever will and no part of it could be called a fashion statement, certainly not the very pedestrian mainsail, which on its articulated luff needs no cars. It sets well without individual batten tuning (how would you do that?) and it drives better and points higher than the partially battened sail it replaced.
    That looks as if there are only 4 luff sliders. Is that correct because one might have expected them every 450mm or so, & definitely one per batten ,
    At least it would stack fairly low on the boom

How do you tension the battens?
    Mine are adjusted by an allen screw from the mast slider.
    In spite of what Seajet might tell you the sailmaker told me to apply light tension & leave alone for the season. I do not have to adjust for differing wind conditions,
    But i do slacken them off when putting away for the winter
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 30-12-14 at 15:49.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    That looks as if there are only 4 luff sliders. Is that correct because one might have expected them every 450mm or so, & definitely one per batten ,
    At least it would stack fairly low on the boom
    What you see are the fixed (to the original sail luff slot) connectors of the continuous articulating luff within which the sail runs. It is a Profurl in-boom system.

How do you tension the battens?
    They have a tongue that exits the pocket, covers the batten end and is Velcro fixed back in the pocket.

In spite of what Seajet might tell you the sailmaker told me to apply light tension & leave alone for the season. I do not have to adjust for differing wind conditions,
    But i do slacken them off when putting away for the winter
    Exactly how I do it too.
    Last edited by Barnac1e; 30-12-14 at 19:06.

Visited my daughter and grandsons 2 and 4 last couple of days and I took with me a copy of Bethwaite's tome on high performance sailing. This guy is a sort of Adrian Newey of sailing and the book is full of all sorts of graphs and wind tunnel results on sails and rigs etc. Long and short of it is that a fully battened main is good for an extra 15% or more of forward drive provided it is properly tuned with batten giving exactly the right shape etc. But the play off between traveller and sheet is quite different to that for a soft sail.

I understand that tuning to middle G is the height of fashion
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast