Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anthony is offline Registered User

Default replacing anodes in Yanmar 3GM

Hi,

I want to replace the anodes in my Yanmar 3GM30, its about 7 years old and from the looks of the original paint on the anode cover / bolts I dont think they have ever been changed!

Anyway my question is; is there any trick to getting the bolts that cover the anode out of the engine???

I started with the one on the end above the gearbox as it is the most accesable, and even applying all the force I can using a socket, and then reverting to good olf fashioned hitting it stil failed to budge it. To make it worse it seems you have to remove most of the fuel filter and piping to get to the other two anode cover bolts on the side.

Am I going about this the wrong way, do they by any chance undo the other way, or shall I quit hoping this is a relativly easy job and get a (much) big hammer and get on with removing all the fuel bits that seem in the way?

Anyone any experience of this?

Thanks,

Anthony

<hr width=100% size=1>The difference between men and boys, is just the price of their toys...
    'There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats'

Default Re: replacing anodes in Yanmar 3GM

Anthony - is your engine an "F"? ... ie is it raw water cooled, or fresh water cooled?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oooppps, sorry, meant to say raw water cooled.

Anthony

<hr width=100% size=1>The difference between men and boys, is just the price of their toys...

mhouse is offline Registered User

The best way is to soak with plenty of WD40 and do while the engine is warm.

<hr width=100% size=1>

yes, they are a real s*d. an impact driver with a socket on the end may help.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Got me worried now! If it is a 3GM30F , are there any anodes which need replacing??

<hr width=100% size=1>

Thanks for the tip re warming engine first, unfortunatly I have now started to remove some of the fuel system to get to them, so guess I need to put it back together, bleed and run the engine then strip it again. No wonder they look like they have never been changed, I would love to meet the person that designed this bit!

Jim, yes if you have 3GM30F, then I believe you will have 3 anodes. They are 'hidden' by 24mm bolt heads. There are two on the side, one near the fuel filter and another near the fuel pump, the 3rd is on the end above the gearbox.

It seems you will also need a warm engine, a very big hammer and lots of patience :-(

Any other tips appreciated.

Anthony

If you have the freshwater cooled model my understanding is there are no anodes to worry about-even in the heat exchanger which I find odd. Like you if anyone with a freshwater model knows different I would like to know.......

<hr width=100% size=1>

It might seem obvious but doesn't anyone with a 3GM30F have an owner's manual they can check? Mine is 300 miles away or I would oblige.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    The sign on my cabin door says 'Not enough bucks stop here'

Do You know about the Yanmar help Discussion Forum? http://www.yanmarhelp.com/msgboard.mv
    2/10/2004 the same question came up with the answer: 3GM30F has NO anodes.
    Regards
    Athene

<hr width=100% size=1>