Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Cheap diy nmea to wifi adaptor - tested and working

You simply need one of these 50 serial to wifi interfaces:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111514368587 which will operate from the ship's supply so only needs power and nmea data.

plus Navmonpc (http://navmonpc.com) running on a laptop or Windows tablet, as the tcp client. The incoming nmea data can then be routed by Navmon to as many virtual com ports you need - one for each application eg charting software etc. (Navmon is a great free Windows app but no doubt there are Mac and Android equivalents out there)

I thought it was going to be a lot more difficult as I initially received garbage over the wifi connection until I swapped over the input wires from my nmea source. (its an Airmar nmea compass which has balanced outputs).

This will mean I no longer need a domestic wifi router and notebook as a nmea server thus saving several amps and some space in the wheelhouse.
    Ian

Would this work with Seawi on an android tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM View Post
    Would this work with Seawi on an android tablet.
    I don't see why not since Seawi can apparently read nmea 0183 and 2K data from a tcp connection.

You can specify the tcp port in the interface's browser based setup (default is 8899 and IP address 10.10.100.254) and it has a dhcp server.

So the steps are:
    Disconnect from your existing wifi connection (if any)
    Connect to the device,
    Type 10.10.100.254 in your browser address bar and log in using the default credentials (admin admin)
    Change the serial baud rate, and change the IP and port number if necessary.
    Reboot the device and close your browser.
    Reconnect and open your app, in the wifi setup, change IP and port number to whatever you set them to if not the default ones.

I

Without the (fairly nice) case and LEDs, connectors....?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/serial-ttl...item1c49ef5ec9
    Same seller.
    Is it the same thing?
    What apps will read this? On a phone?

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Without the (fairly nice) case and LEDs, connectors....?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/serial-ttl...item1c49ef5ec9
    Same seller.
    Is it the same thing?
    What apps will read this? On a phone?
    I bought one of them as well, but by the time you've boxed it, built a power supply to drop ship's battery volts down to 3.3v at 500ma, added an opto isolated input or level translator (input signal range is 0-3.3v), it was simpler to use the ready built unit.

The embedded module is really meant to be built into a larger device, as the name suggests.

There is a version without the ethernet port which is cheaper - I think its the 39.50 model in the above ebay shop.

The manufacturer's website: http://en.usr.cn/Serial-to-WIFI/RS23...-G-N-Converter
    Last edited by ianj99; 24-12-14 at 19:56.

Thanks Ianj99 for a great tip. Just got this working after an hours fiddling about with my phone and tablet and seawi. I can now see all my boats data including AIS whilst lying in my bunk and Seawi will text me in the pub with wind and depth data and tell me if my anchor is dragging. What an excellent piece of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM View Post
    Thanks Ianj99 for a great tip. Just got this working after an hours fiddling about with my phone and tablet and seawi. I can now see all my boats data including AIS whilst lying in my bunk and Seawi will text me in the pub with wind and depth data and tell me if my anchor is dragging. What an excellent piece of kit.
    I'm glad you like it. I think many owners tend to turn their noses up at these low cost alternatives to the branded ones thinking the higher price must guarantee a better product.
    Ian

Aha, Great job. Thank you for sharing.

Its very nicely made and web interface very easy to use. The quality looks much better than my expensive raymarine seatalk converter which is just a clip together plastic box with spring loaded terminals. Looking forward to lying in my bunk and not having to go into the cockpit to check the wind and depth. Seawi is very good too with all the data on one page.

Would this work with the Digital Yacht AIS app on an iPad????

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast