Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Torqueedo 1003S Prop removal

Hi

Anyone out there know how to remove a Torqueedo prop which is spinning on the shaft? Is there an easy way to prevent the shaft spinning to remove the end nut?

TIA
    David

I'm interested to find out too.
    I've found this suggestion from a forum

""Hi David, a guy from Torqeedo with whom i had an interesting talk at the "Boot" fair in Duesseldorf in january proposed the following procedure. I never tried it, so i'm talking like the blind man about colors! Connect the battery and a controller (tiller)to the motor and power on the controller. Running the motor at low speed and returning to stop makes the motor stall (electrically braked) for a few moments. Use this time to loosen the nut. From normal use i know this brake effect, when setting power to zero while driving the prop stops for, lets say one second, and then it commences revolving as it is driven by the water flow. Again, I never used it for loosening the nut and I'd definetely wear working gloves.... If you use a ratchet with a 17mm socket-wrench and you let run the prop counterclockwise it shouldn't be too dangerous. On the other hand... why not running the motor clockwise and loosen the nut with motorpower ;-) Be careful! Frank - See more at: http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/0....rppwSCKl.dpuf ""

Quote Originally Posted by foeu View Post
    I'm interested to find out too.
    I've found this suggestion from a forum

""Hi David, a guy from Torqeedo with whom i had an interesting talk at the "Boot" fair in Duesseldorf in january proposed the following procedure. I never tried it, so i'm talking like the blind man about colors! Connect the battery and a controller (tiller)to the motor and power on the controller. Running the motor at low speed and returning to stop makes the motor stall (electrically braked) for a few moments. Use this time to loosen the nut. From normal use i know this brake effect, when setting power to zero while driving the prop stops for, lets say one second, and then it commences revolving as it is driven by the water flow. Again, I never used it for loosening the nut and I'd definetely wear working gloves.... If you use a ratchet with a 17mm socket-wrench and you let run the prop counterclockwise it shouldn't be too dangerous. On the other hand... why not running the motor clockwise and loosen the nut with motorpower ;-) Be careful! Frank - See more at: http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/0....rppwSCKl.dpuf ""
    Thanks foeu, I'll give it a try tomorrow!

David
    Red Fox 226

Crickey watch your fingers! That's a very powerful hand masher you're playing with. Would you do it on a petrol outboard running but hopefully in neutral?

Bit of a nightmare that one - I used to have a 1003, and mine broke its shear pin because it couldn't cope with a patch of seaweed (which wasn't that bad, and would have been mashed by a petrol outboard).

I managed to move the nut by a quick sharp jerk with a spanner. I don't like the suggestion above as your fingers and hands are precious and you are relying on the circuit integrity not to restart the motor (which although extremely unlikely, is not a chance I would want to take).

Don't over tighten the nut when you do it up again.

Having shear pin on this motor is to me a serious design flaw - they ought to have used splines. When the retail price is the most expensive ever per HP for a small engine, they ought to do job properly down to that level of detail.

At the price they ask for it, it ought to be near perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by dartmoor View Post
    Bit of a nightmare that one - I used to have a 1003, and mine broke its shear pin because it couldn't cope with a patch of seaweed (which wasn't that bad, and would have been mashed by a petrol outboard).

I managed to move the nut by a quick sharp jerk with a spanner. I don't like the suggestion above as your fingers and hands are precious and you are relying on the circuit integrity not to restart the motor (which although extremely unlikely, is not a chance I would want to take).

Don't over tighten the nut when you do it up again.

Having shear pin on this motor is to me a serious design flaw - they ought to have used splines. When the retail price is the most expensive ever per HP for a small engine, they ought to do job properly down to that level of detail.

At the price they ask for it, it ought to be near perfect!
    Thank you -
    Agree totally with the design vs price!!

David
    Red Fox 226

Just had the Charity and Taylor Engineer on the phone - very helpful, but says the only way to remove a 'spinning' prop is to remove the back cover and hold the motor. Unfortunately this voids the warranty!

David
    Red Fox 226

Might it be possible to use a dremel-type tool to cut a slot in the end of the shaft, so that a screwdriver could hold it whilst unscrewing the nut? I have a Torqeedo 1003 but haven't had to take the prop off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Might it be possible to use a dremel-type tool to cut a slot in the end of the shaft, so that a screwdriver could hold it whilst unscrewing the nut? I have a Torqeedo 1003 but haven't had to take the prop off yet.
    Thanks prv
    I will definitely try to slot the shaft (for the next bit of East Coast mud) once I've got the thing apart - not a lot of space to get a milling attachment to get in there - I suppose I could always cut the prop off as it's fairly ragged at the edges - I'll see today....
    David
    Red Fox 226

Quote Originally Posted by Redfox226 View Post
    Thanks prv
    Errr.. pvb

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast