Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by roblpm View Post

Why do you say it looks so much better??
    Maybe im thinking of the 1050? The coach roof/ deck saloon of the boat you posted a picture of looks like a "ooooh super yachts deck saloons are being made this way so we'd better copy them to stay trendy" approach...which I hate.
    almost as much as hideous hull windows and twin wheels.

oh, and square edged designer yacht interiors.

I've had a few boats in my time including a multihull, but the one I have had for the last 6 years is a keeper and will be my last. Its a Starlight 35. Difficult to put a finger on why I have settled into it so well except perhaps that its a real allrounder. There are faster boats to race. There are more voluminous 35 footers. There are some that might be better in the southern ocean. But as a boat in which to do anything I want, it takes some beating.

Could be described as a modern more comfortable Contessa 32.

Its a bit like the marine equivalent of my motorcycle - a 1200GS
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I've had a few boats in my time including a multihull, but the one I have had for the last 6 years is a keeper and will be my last. Its a Starlight 35. Difficult to put a finger on why I have settled into it so well except perhaps that its a real allrounder. There are faster boats to race. There are more voluminous 35 footers. There are some that might be better in the southern ocean. But as a boat in which to do anything I want, it takes some beating.

Must make the GT35 a 1200GS Adventure with nitrous!
    Real men do it two handed

Well everyone seems very complimentary about them. However my purchase will be in about 2020 at which point they will all be over 20 years old.

I just bought a 20 year old boat last year which suits me very well at the moment, but I am really in to going places rather than boat maintenance so am targetting a 5 year old boat next time. Old enough for some depreciation from new but not old enough so engine potentially needs replacing!

The UK builders are no go. Too expensive. Same with the Swedes. The French at least seem to be able to have small yards selling in to double figures a year.

Just wondering and here seems as good a place to ask as any, what has happened to Ovni, are they totally kaput or going again in some form ?
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Just wondering and here seems as good a place to ask as any, what has happened to Ovni, are they totally kaput or going again in some form ?
    I think they went bust and then got resurrected. An Ovni is my boat after next! I fancy something a bit faster and more fun before I buy my "go anywhere" boat.

I just bought a 20 year old boat last year which suits me very well at the moment, but I am really in to going places rather than boat maintenance so am targetting a 5 year old boat next time. Old enough for some depreciation from new but not old enough so engine potentially needs replacing!

I've done that three times and each time regretted it. Replacements start to become due as you approach year 10. For example, the electronics have ( in the manufacturers view) a life of less than 10 years. Any longer and repair starts to become difficult or impossible. Sails ditto.

But the real issue is usually a cost one. If you dont want to cough up for a top of the range boat brand new you have a choice. Either a BenJanBav new or a quality boat second hand. We have endless debates on here about the real life quality differences and I'm happy to accept that its a personal view. If your view is that you want Swedish or British, then second hand brings the cost down to more sensible levels. The last Starlight 35s were 190k bopats. The replace ( Rustler 37) is more like 400k
    Last edited by birdseye; 17-01-15 at 18:40.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

I've done that three times and each time regretted it. Replacements start to become due as you approach year 10. For example, the electronics have ( in the manufacturers view) a life of less than 10 years. Any longer and repair starts to become difficult or impossible. Sails ditto.
    You mean buying at year 5 or 20??

I emailed and they sent me the price list. They say they have sold 15 already. (Makes you wonder about our boat builders??!!).

Anyway base price is 155,000 euros plus vat. However base really does mean base, no sails! So I reckon at least another say 25,000 euros at a minimum.

Euro exchange rate is going the right way so we are talking 166k and up.

Hopefully they will sell loads so there is a bit of a second hand market in 5 years.
    Thanks. Are there any known deterioration /maintenance issues with the hull matrial or is it similar to GRP in that respect?

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Thanks. Are there any known deterioration /maintenance issues with the hull matrial or is it similar to GRP in that respect?
    Well funnily enough my Dad built an Eventide out of plywood covered in epoxy! Unfortunately it burnt just before launch so we never found out how durable it was.

But I have never seen any suggestion of any problems.

I have a slight romantic notion of buying a plywood bilge keeler like my dad's, just the RM1070 fast version!! My dad always disapproved of "plastic" boats!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast