Is yours on the list?

Have I missed any 'must-reads'?

Pete
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

'Across Three Oceans' by Conor O'Brian

Good list.

But where is Tilman? :-)

South sea vagabonds is one of the best sailing books i have read, tho most of the fun/best writing seemed to be in the building of the boat rather than the sailing.

Last grain race

Ice bird

Voyage of the challenger

Working on the edge, spike walker

Silver darlings, neil gunn

You can argue about tristan jones, but a good read.

Sailing to freedom, verdam and wall

Ice bears and kotick

Blue latitudes, horowitz

Two years before the mast

Teatime islands, fogle

Oops, more than 10, sorry

Boat - North West Scotland. Me - coastless West Yorkshire.

Your website labels these novels, which none of them are. Really nice selection of non-fiction though.

My favourite on your list is Miles Smeeton's 'Once is Enough', which I read for the first time one wild night in the Outer Hebrides, waiting for the anchor to drag - which it did, but kindly not until 10 the next morning. By then I knew that whatever happened to me in an insufficiently secure anchorage on Harris in a storm 10 was going to be nothing to worry about compared to pitchpoling in the Southern Ocean in a hurricane. I've also read Smeeton's sequel, 'Because the Horn is There', and I recently found but haven't yet read 'The Sea Was Our Village', an account of how he and Beryl first bought Tzu Hang, the yacht of the other two books. I'm saving it for an anchor watch ....

I'd add to your list:
    in a similar vein to the Smeetons, 20 years on, Hal Roth's 'Two Against the Horn' (the Roths come across as very much in the same ilk as the Smeetons);
    Miles Clark's excellent biography of the Smeetons, 'High Endeavours';
    and because sailing is not normally, and so should not always be portrayed as, high adrenalin stuff, Arthur Ransome's 'Racundra's First Cruise'.

Which leads nicely to the start of a fiction list: all 12 of Ransome's children's books.Then to get the adrenalin pumping, move on to Hammond Innes. I've just started his 'Blue Ice', which features attempted murder by "accidental" jibe.

Default Re: My ten favourite sailing books!

Good list! I would agree with most of them. I would definitely add ‘Voyage for Madmen’, which includes a number of the sailors in your list. I would also include Dame Naomi James and her account of sailing solo around the world (via Cape Horn). She was a hairdresser my trade, had never sailed before, which makes her story pretty special I think. Thanks for the list though, a couple on there I haven’t read so will order for sure!

Kath
    s/v Caladh
    www.thesailingnomads.com

Poetry;

Other Men's Flowers, a compendium of his favourites, most of which he knew by heart - by Gen. Sir Archie Wavell.

If only one item comes into the liferaft with me after the grab-bag it'll be this.

I'm feeling, rightfully, relegated to the backpage. I'm not in anyone's list

I have just recovered the Arthur Ransome stories (what set me off in sailing) - currently on Swallowdale. I didn't realise how well they were written when I read them as a seven year old

Here are a few of my faves:

Isabel and the Sea - George Millar. From UK to Greece, post war.

Messing about in Boats - John Muir. Memories of sailing from the early years of 20th c.

Mischief in Patagonia - H W Tilman. Or anything else by the great man really.

The Unlikely Voyage of Jack De Crow - A J Mackinnon. From Wales to the Black Sea in a Mirror Dinghy.

Gotty and the Guv'nor - A E Copping. Sailing in the early years, out of Essex.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbarker View Post
    Sailing the Dream: McGrady
    500 Days; Serge Testa
    My Old Man and the Sea: Hays & Hays
    Sailing Promise: Alayne Main
    The First Voyage of the Joshua: Moitessier
    Sailing to the Reefs: Moitessier
    Three Years in a 12-Foot Boat: Stephen Ladd
    Maiden Voyage: Tania Aebi
    Alone Against the Atlantic: Gerry Spiess
    Tinkerbelle: Robert Manry
    Cruising as a Way of Life: Tom Colvin
    Sea Gypsy: Tangvald
    Gipsy Moth Circles the World: Chichester
    Some good books there, thanks

I read it an awful long time ago, and before I had much sailing experience, but at that time I found Chichester a real bore. My recollection of it is just a sequence of 'wind got up, reduced sail; wind down, increased sail; self steering broke, fixed it, wind got up. . .' I did find his 'round the world' (?) flying book interesting, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast