View Poll Results: Longest cruising yacht for single-handed sailors?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • 27-29ft

8 5.06%
  • 30-32ft

13 8.23%
  • 33-35ft

28 17.72%
  • 36-38ft

43 27.22%
  • 39-41ft

19 12.03%
  • 42-44ft

47 29.75%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Poll: Longest cruising yacht for single-handed sailors?

why have you stopped at 44 ??? I know a guy, not young, who regularly sailed solo on his Swan 59

Kind of depends where you are single handing - blue water / round the world (bigger may be better) or coastal port hopping (where bigger is often a huge liability, literally)

My own boat is nominally a 45 footer, but actually a bit bigger. I do single hand it from time to time and normally sail with just my wife, who helps entering and leaving a berth, but as I am fairly lightly built I regard it as being about as large as I can handle on my own. It might be easier with an in mast main than with my full batten job, and an electric genoa furler as fitted to a lot of Amel yachts would make it easier still. Some boats, like the Amel Maramu are designed to be sailed by two people and are probably quite manageable by one despite their larger size.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterend View Post
    why have you stopped at 44 ??? I know a guy, not young, who regularly sailed solo on his Swan 59
    Quite so. Bigger boats get easier berths, more shoreside help ... and yet you can run up and down the decks, and they have massive inertia (which goes up with the cube of their length, whereas windage only goes up in proportion to the square of length. Bigger is indeed better.

I think that you are looking at this the wrong way.
    Rather than asking what is the biggest you can sail single handed shouldn’t you be asking how much accommodation and room one person needs and choose accordingly?

My 28ft Beneteau First has ample accommodation for one and has all the comforts of home (H & C shower etc). If I have guests it will sleep four in comfort, it is a doddle to park and sails well. Why would I want anything larger?

John
    Beneteau First 28ft in the Med.

There was this French guy Alain Colas who singled handed a 237ft yacht.

I wonder if it had a bow thruster??
    My boat is for sale - ask me if interested.

I agree with the view that size in itself does not matter half as much as the way the boat is set up. If you want to sail solo, do it with the boat you happen to have, but take good long look at it and assess what has to be changed or adapted so you can manage on your own.
    Coming into or leaving a berth will always be the most difficult bit, but you will soon refine your techniques and develop a sense for what kind of maneuvres will pose the least problems.
    I find that sailing solo makes you a better yachtsman, as you have to think things through beforehand and you learn to anticipate better than if you have crew who can put things right if you cock up

I am 67 and single hand a 44 ft cutter. The only powered item I have is an electric anchor windlass. As I anchor almost all the time this is essential for me.

I will fly the sym spi on a pole in benign conditions but these are rare as I am out in the Eastern Carib where the trades blow so I am more likely to be deciding on one or two reefs before setting off.

I meet the odd guy single handing larger but not many. Often French on Amels at 53 - 55 ft with electric everything.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Quote Originally Posted by Retired in Crete View Post
    I think that you are looking at this the wrong way.
    Rather than asking what is the biggest you can sail single handed shouldn’t you be asking how much accommodation and room one person needs and choose accordingly?

My 28ft Beneteau First has ample accommodation for one and has all the comforts of home (H & C shower etc). If I have guests it will sleep four in comfort, it is a doddle to park and sails well. Why would I want anything larger?

John
    It's about time you got a new sail cover though John.
    Mostly harmless....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cross View Post
    It's about time you got a new sail cover though John.
    I am but a poor pensioner. I need my sponsors contribution!

John
    Beneteau First 28ft in the Med.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast