View Poll Results: Longest cruising yacht for single-handed sailors?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • 27-29ft

8 5.06%
  • 30-32ft

13 8.23%
  • 33-35ft

28 17.72%
  • 36-38ft

43 27.22%
  • 39-41ft

19 12.03%
  • 42-44ft

47 29.75%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Default Re: Poll: Longest cruising yacht for single-handed sailors?

I used to be able to tack through moorings, and did it in a folk boat and my 33 footer, but definitely not in CdG. The trick to single handing anything imho is a good autopilot

I met one guy cruising a Santa Cruz 70 around the Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    but I wouldnt try to short tack her through moorings thanks to a masthead rig and 140 genoa.
    I've had to do this a few times out of necessity. 3rd reef and well-rolled genoa helps.

Alain Colas did the transat in the 238' Club Med.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I've had to do this a few times out of necessity. 3rd reef and well-rolled genoa helps.
    Much depends on the state of your mainsail and genoa!

I never thought twice about it in the gaff cutter pictured in posts 47 and 50, because the view ahead was good and there was minimal sheeting in required, but you did need to be sailing quite fast. Lose speed and you lose control, as my father, whose sailing career ran from 1919 to 1985, used to say. For that reason, I’m in-keen on reefing down much below what is usual for the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by eWizard View Post

And I dont get why everybody say that the maintance of larger boats are more $$$. When something get broke on a 40' or on 60' cost usually almost the same price. Penta d3 on 40' or penta d4 on 60'. U dont replace the entire engine but one part and the parts are usually the same. I got my 65' for almost 1,5 year and one thing that I changed are the oil, fuel, water filters and smal thing on the engine.
    ^ Just going to highlight for the inexperienced this isn't correct! I appreciate comparing an oil filter with one engine from a slightly larger unit isn't that much of a difference but....

60ft vs 40 ft costs....a few things that spring to mind ref costs, these will all be significantly more, not just a few quid extra for the increased waterline length.

Purchase cost, berthing, boat yard lifting, storage ashore, quantity of anti foul required for the hull, HUGE cost differences between sails of this size, larger diameter and longer halyards and bigger deck gear required, more seacocks and maintenance of the increased comforts associated with boats of this size - air con, generators, water makers, increased battery and charging systems to run it all etc etc.

And that's before that hightech gear mentioned starts to play up, which it will.

Best of luck to anyone with whatever they sail but as was wisely pointed out earlier, if you're on your own on something most of us would refer to as 'big', you are carrying around a lot of extra empty boat.

My partner and I had the discussion about getting a larger boat (X-40) and she rightly pointed out we'd still be sitting in the saloon together and sleeping in the same cabin (hopefully!) so having another heads and a bit more living space wouldn't increase the enjoyment we were having that evening.

For reference for the OP I have no issues single handing 36ft (X-362) in most weathers to familiar destinations and going in and out of locks (with floating pontoons). I like the achievement of arriving singlehanded but after a tide I'm getting a bit lonely/bored if I'm honest.

For coastal passages once you've got a boat capable of 6-7 knots with perhaps a bit more off the wind in a blow you're into the 50 mile a tide range allowing you to link up ports around the UK quite easily. If you're into oceans and living aboard for long periods I can understand the logic of bigger, wish you well and respect that.

Let's not pretend it costs the same to maintain 40ft as 60!
    Last edited by xyachtdave; 27-01-19 at 10:40.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Very good post.

Having just jumped up a couple of sizes:

Some numbers are more or less linear - berthing, lifting, storage ashore, as is engine maintenance. Antifoul is a square function obviously. Yes HUGE increase in cost of sails and a “mere” headsail sheet is no trivial matter. An odd one is that choice of marina berths and moorings becomes restricted. The increase in cost of deck gear is certainly a cube factor of not rather more as much more “engineering” comes in to cope with the much bigger loads.
    Last edited by Minn; 27-01-19 at 11:20.

Was invited for a daysail on a fairly modern 45 footer last summer and I must admit the difference with my 27 footer was remarkable just the weight of the jib sheets and hauling in the main the weight of the sails ,quite exhausting and as mentioned the space you occupy on the boat is the same

Quote Originally Posted by yodave View Post
    Wow... lot's of food for thought there. Thanks to all voters and contributors.

I suppose that I was thinking under 50ft due to budget and a general feeling of being in control. I accept that lots of electric winches and thrusters make a huge difference. I also accept that a bigger yacht can be better to move around than a smaller yacht based on the bigger yacht having all mod cons, and the smaller yacht being an older less agile design. All things being equal though, it seems that a smaller yacht should be easier to park, but less good out on the water.

I can't help but think that part of the equation is what each skipper can handle in his/her mind.

Oh, and I'm not thinking of the smallest yacht possible because there's only one of me. My question is based on more than one person being aboard ...but there being a crew of only one, possibly two with the addition of others who aren't particularly interested.

Thanks to once again to all very much!
    You dont state your cruising ground but when you mention berth it sounds like you would be keeping the boat in a marina.
    We are currently cruising the Windward and Leewards. The need to go on to a marina here is about once a season if you lift out for the summer so lots of the issues that influence your choice of boat and gear are not relevant to cruising these waters. Electric anything becomes a problem if it goes wrong. You either have to ship it from UK or USA at great expense and incertainty or do without. Lots of people get T-shirts made saying ” no I am not local, I am just waiting for parts”.
    We have no bow thruster, no electric winches, no lines led back to the cockpit, we reef at the mast with slab reefing. We sail as husband and wife so single handed sailing in shifts on long passages. We dont get the other person up to reef as its so easy when you have a stable boat with high granny bars and a very simple and effective reefing system. We have twin headsail furlers. One of the best attributes for sailing generally. Working headsail on one furler and large overlapping genoa on the other.
    We went to the fuel dock at Carriacou yesterday to get our dury free fuel as we cleared out. The wind was blowing 20kts on to the fuel dock. We filled up and sprang ourselves off. No drama, no damage no sweat. Our boat is 44ft and circa 18.5t so you cant push it but you can spring it. You dont need bells and whistles to sail a boat. The more you have the more it goes wrong. In the past 60ft barges were sailed with a man and boy!

Wondered do Vendee globe sailers use spinnakers ? ie assymetrics with free luff ? or just code zeros with luff fixed to the roller furler ?

Guessing that spinnaker limiting factor for most people in terms of boat size. I know someone who is races singlehanded with a symmetrical spinnaker on a contessa 32, but beyond most users ?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast