View Poll Results: Longest cruising yacht for single-handed sailors?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • 27-29ft

8 5.06%
  • 30-32ft

13 8.23%
  • 33-35ft

28 17.72%
  • 36-38ft

43 27.22%
  • 39-41ft

19 12.03%
  • 42-44ft

47 29.75%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Default Re: Poll: Longest cruising yacht for single-handed sailors?

Quote Originally Posted by yodave View Post
    My question is based on more than one person being aboard ...but there being a crew of only one, possibly two with the addition of others who aren't particularly interested.
    Having another person on board is NOT single handed
    When things get awkward & one is single handed one cannot shout to the person below to come into the cockpit & grab a line for a second or two. That makes a massive difference. Nor can one rely on help on board at berthing. Having someone to talk to also makes a difference, positive or otherwise , depending on one's point of view.
    So , please, all those who claim to single hand, whilst the wife sits below reading a book, or whatever, will they get it into their heads, that they are NOT single handed sailors.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

If you are single handed and want a long boat I would suggest a bow and stern thruster.

I spoke to a harbour master once when i was considering moving up from my 31 ft boat.
    His comment was " if you stick with 31 ft I will always find you a place somewhere, but as you start getting bigger, it will be harder & where you go will be harder for you to park". His recommendation was to keep to max 35 ft. I think that applies to a lot of places round the UK

i rarely have trouble parking my boat, with its short fin & no skeg. It is dead easy. I would have no problem with a similar design of 35 ft. However, once one goes up a size just getting on & off quickly becomes a chore. This becomes especially so if parking somewhere like Ostend with stern onto a buoy & bows to the pontoon. I do that single handed quite easily in my boat, but it would be a different ball game in a 40 fter I suspect. Although, some can go stern on, but I cannot due to the Aeries.

Dutch harbours, between poles, catch me out, sometimes, but that is because I am not used to doing them SH. I usually take a crew up the canals.

I have no experience of med cruising so cannot comment, but I expect that would be awkward parking stern on in a swell as well
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    . . . I usually take a crew up the canals. . .
    Apparently, since PC has gawn mad, we can no longer snigger at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yealm View Post
    Wondered do Vendee globe sailers use spinnakers ? ie assymetrics with free luff ? or just code zeros with luff fixed to the roller furler ?

Guessing that spinnaker limiting factor for most people in terms of boat size. I know someone who is races singlehanded with a symmetrical spinnaker on a contessa 32, but beyond most users ?
    With Vendee / Open 60 type boats they are generally going so fast the wind will rarely be much behind the beam, mostly slightly ahead, hence mostly will be code zero type furlers, except for very light winds.

And regarding cruising sailers, I guess that spinnaker setting is probably not a big priority. A 40 footer with a 39 foot waterline will generally go downwind on white sails faster than a short waterline Co 32 with symmetric kite up, with no poles or setting/dropping to worry about on the 40 footer. And if very light winds a furling asymmetric certainly make the 40 footer faster.
    The boat I did ARC on sailed with white sails, mostly poled out genoa, the entire way. The asymmetric stayed in its bag. Oh, and we finished on the water ahead of much bigger race boats that had blown 2-3 spinnakers, and on corrected time one of the top 5% overall. So spinnakers maybe not a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    My partner and I had the discussion about getting a larger boat (X-40) and she rightly pointed out we'd still be sitting in the saloon together and sleeping in the same cabin (hopefully!) so having another heads and a bit more living space wouldn't increase the enjoyment we were having that evening.
    Stop applying logic to boat purchases !!! The X40 is a stunning boat, and you know you want one.
    Who counts heads when sailing a boat like that

PS. Slightly more on topic, yes the costs do go up with boat size (indeed typically weight), and finding a berth in some cruising waters can be restricted with longer, deeper and /or wider boats.
    But generally no more difficult to single hand 40ft than 36ft.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Stop applying logic to boat purchases !!! The X40 is a stunning boat, and you know you want one.
    Who counts heads when sailing a boat like that

PS. Slightly more on topic, yes the costs do go up with boat size (indeed typically weight), and finding a berth in some cruising waters can be restricted with longer, deeper and /or wider boats.
    But generally no more difficult to single hand 40ft than 36ft.
    Who counts "heads"?
    Ask any woman, its their priority, especially on a yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Alain Colas did the transat in the 238' Club Med.
    My recollection is that whilst his did of course do the OSTAR course in it he was pretty rapidly boarded by the support team to help him out once across the line and visa versa at the start.

I'm 74 Years young and regilarly sail my Amel Super Maramu solo. Now in NZ... obviously I've done some things right :-)
    1997 Bavaria 46 Exclusive; keel still attached
    ROCNA anchor, shank not bent

>If you are single handed and want a long boat I would suggest a bow and stern thruster.

The reason I said that is I watched a 45 foot boat heading to a pontoon where the wind was blowing of it he used his two thrusters to hold the boat on the pontoon while lines were attached. I have also seen them used when manoeuvring in a tight space in a marina.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast