Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mireland is offline Registered User

Default Taylors 079D cabin heater

I have no instructions for the cabin heater in my new to me boat. Does anyone know how to light it. It is a drip feed diesel model.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: Taylors 079D cabin heater

Sadly no practical advice. However if Taylors are like Dickinson then count to 500 while 2 tablespoons of diesel arrive, pray to Mecca and swear a lot. Once it's going it's brilliant but does require serious religious attendance first !

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK
    FREE software - 12/24V security via a browser - http://www.skippersmate.co.uk

Thanks for the advice. I am up for nursing it but just don't know what to do! Does it need preheating and if so how? Where do you stick the match. Excuse total ignorance but I have become an expert in ignorance very rapidly since buying the boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Preheat using methylated spirit (about an expresso cup full or less) I use an oil can to squirt it in the hole in the combustion chamber otherwise a plastic bottle with a tube or run the meths in along a bit of wire. Light the meths with a taper (or push a lighted match into the hole) it will fire up quicker if you delay replacing the bolt in the combustion chamber. Once the meths is going feed in a little diesel...requires constant attention until going then adjust the drip rate say one/sec to start.
    I use central heating oil rather than diesel but it runs and starts even better on paraffin. the heater can "run away" if overfuelled so do not leave the boat with the heater running and do not run it when asleep.
    Regards
    Tim

<hr width=100% size=1>

bluevelvet is offline Registered User

Hi my taylors heaters only requires some fuel to let into the base of the combustion chamber and then lit by placing a match into the chamber thro the little hole covered by a small flap,once the fuel has warmed the heater I then adjust the output by the thumbscrew to increase the drip rate.I have used a parafin taylors before and I was surprised how easy the diesel version was to use considering some of the bad press that they get.Regards John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Thanks very much to everyone for your good advice. The running awat bit sounds a little scary!

Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

Interested in learning more about the Taylors 079D. We have a larger boat with a Dickinson Newport diesel heater, easy to light, with electric pump at 4 PSI, turn on fuel valve to full, takes about 5 minutes to put 2 tablespoons of diesel in bottom of combustion chamber, turn off fuel, light with little piece of paper towel and close door. When the fire starts to die down, turn the valve up to 1, adjust gratually up to desired temp, piece of cake by Yank standards.

We run our Dickinson 24 x 7 in the cold season, never fear of problems, clean out combustion chamber every two months, scrape out carbon and vacuum out, clean out bottom clean out plug (fuel inlet), good for 2 more months.

Interested in finding another diesel heater to replace our Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater, burners are no longer available, Patria maker of burner out of business for 3rd and final time. Interested in learning about Taylors 079D, good or bad information is ok.

<hr width=100% size=1>

If you want to keep your Force 10 Cozy going, then I believe it uses the same burner as in the Taylors 079K heater i.e. the kerosene-only version of the 079 heater - it is a pressure burner as opposed to a drip-feed, right? This burner can burn kerosene, or diesel, or both depending on the jet fitted. and runs off a pressurized tank.

If so, this burner (which is common to Taylors, Shipmate, Mariner, Optimus, Patria etc..) is available from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.base-camp.co.uk/burners.htm>Base Camp</A>: it's the 207 burner.

The Base Camp guy is very helpful and knowledgeable and will be able to confirm this.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Plum is offline Registered User

Mike, have you solved your peoblem now? I have just fitted one of these to my boat and so have up to date experience if you still need to discuss.

<hr width=100% size=1>

I use meths to light my Dickinson Newport. LEt a bit of fiuel in to the bottom, toss in a cap of meths then use a long nosed lighter to set it on fire. I tend to leave the door open until the blue meths flame turn yellow, close the door, open the valve again and turn on teh fan. it burining away within 5 mins.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast