Default Connecting Honda outboard to NMEA2000

Hi all, I'm wondering if any of you can help in connecting my outboard to my HDS unit so I can monitor the engine using the digital gauge set up.

I have a 2008 Honda BF50D outboard and a Lowrance HDS5 Gen2 GPS which I would like to connect via NMEA2000. I've obtained the engine interface lead via Lowrance and have checked it is the correct part as supplied by Honda. It is the same part number as Honda and looking at the images from the Honda Marine website, it looks identical to the cable they sell.

However, when trying to connect it to my engine the connector plug does not fit. They are quite similar connectors and the number of contacts and wire colours are the same but the lead has a female socket and so does the engine. The connector on the lead is black and the connector on the engine is blue - both 6 contact connectors.

Looking at the Honda owners manual there are four versions of the wiring diagram; three of these show a black connector and the fourth shows a blue connector such as I have. In both versions, the wires appear to go to the same CAN bus connections at the ECU, just the terminating connector is different.

Of course, I could just splice the connector with bullet connectors and get the job done but I'd rather not molest an engine which is in top notch condition.

I've spoken to Honda UK who have just advised to talk to a dealer. My local Honda Marine dealer says they have not come across this before but will look into it. As I haven't bought the engine from them I suspect they won't be overly keen to assist.

Does anyone here have any clues they can give? Any ideas who I can turn to for assistance?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Default Re: Connecting Honda outboard to NMEA2000

As you bought the lead from Lowrance, I would take it back to them and, ask for a lead with the correct connector.....or a refund, and then buy the correct lead from Honda.

The lead from Lowrance is the same as the one supplied by Honda, it even carries the same part number. Since it was provided by Lowrance FOC it's not refundable and Lowrance have already said the lead should be correct and advise contacting Honda.
    I could buy another lead from a Honda dealer anyway but as they are just quoting the same part there seems little point and rather a waste of money.

Apologies, my mistake, as I didn't realise the lead was supplied FOC, but it does appear that Honda aren't being very helpful, even though they didn't supply the lead.

Under these circumstances, unless anyone else can help, I think you will have to just modify the connectors accordingly.

I'm facing the same issue, so I wonder if anybody managed to fix it.

Seems that older Honda engines have slightly different (blue) NMEA2000 interface coupler and official Honda cable (06653-ZZ3-760HE) doesn't fit.

Thanks for your reply.!

Did they tell what is the purpose of this blue connector then ?
    Thanks to the statement in the original manual that this is NMEA2000 connector I already spent
    200+ EUR on NMEA2000 wiring.

That was some time ago now but eventually Honda UK did come back to me and say that the earlier ECM was not equipped to interpret NMEA2000 so no connector would actually work. It seems the only answer would be to replace the ECM at a cost of about £800. I chose to just rely on my tachometer and trim gauge. The cooling temp, oil temp and oil press would have been nice but I can live without.

I believe the original idea was a Honda-made electronic display and that blue connector was intended for that purpose.