Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oil pressure low

Before I get frog-marched to the bank by my friendly local Volvo dealer, I was wondering if anyone had any idea...

One of my TAMD31's has just started to drop its oil pressure. It runs at just over 60psi when under load but then drops to about 20psi when idling, setting the oil pressure warning light off. This is a new development, which coincides with a new but very small oil leak (still cant find where its coming from, but there's a persistent oily film on the bilge water).

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: Oil pressure low

be sure it is not the sensor that is knackered and that the relief valve is not knackered seems to be a common fault with the tamd engines, there were many posts about this very subject a few months back but they were also covering the engines habbit of dumping all it's oil through the breather when running hard!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
    Look here for marine electronics and safety gear at the best prices

http://www.marvinmarine.co.uk

I would check the pressure sender first as I had similar problems with a car some years ago.

The diaphragm in the sender unit can split which causes it to malfunction and also leak a very small amount of oil. There is normally a small hole in the switch casing to expose the outside of the diaphragm to atmospheric pressure. If there is any oil showing there it is almost certain that the diaphragm has split.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave Seager
    Weybridge UK
    Dave Seager
    Weybridge UK

How many hours on your engine.

<hr width=100% size=1>Nastro Azzurro.Hoegaarden.Chang.Tiger.

RIN is offline Registered User

I would swap the senders over to see if the sender was at fault - but first change the oil filter - I had a similar problem on one of my KAD32s which cleared when I changed the filter

<hr width=100% size=1>No! No! - I mean the other Starboard
    Per Ardua Ad Nauseum

I'd endorse RIN, swapping the senders is nearly free, if the problem stays with one engine I'd also be tempted to change the instrument heads over temporarily, if you still have low pressure then it has to be internal to the engine, either the pressure relief valve sticking open, or possibly the filter bypass (most engines have a bypass so that if the oil filter clogs you will still get some oil flow), but you'll need an engineer by that stage.

I'd do the sender and instrument change prior to changing the oil and filter but that might just be a personal preference....

<hr width=100% size=1>Rgds

Simon
    Its Only Money
    Fairline Sprint
    Solent-based
    Rgds

Simon
    Ocean Deep
    Fairline Sprint
    Volvo 4.3GXi

Engine hours are 900 (15yrs old). Engines have been fastidiously maintained by the previous owner. I've done 50 hrs this season (I bought it in May of this yr).

Regarding the oil filter, are you refering to the leak or the lack of oil pressure?

Many thanks,
    Mike.

<hr width=100% size=1>

RIN is offline Registered User

Mike

I had the low oil pressure problem after 40 hours. I was away cruising at the time. The trouble finding section in the volvo manual only listed two possible causes for low oil pressure - low oil level or blocked filter - oil level was ok so I changed the oil filter and all has been ok - now at 90 hours. I had no leaks.

Hope you get it sorted

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>No! No! - I mean the other Starboard
    Per Ardua Ad Nauseum

OK, thanks, I'll try that.

<hr width=100% size=1>

If the leak and low pressure started at the same time, I'd check the sender unit.

<hr width=100% size=1>Brian
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brunyard