Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What's going on at Lydney?

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Was the outer lock dredged or scoured in Ye Olde Days? We have a few harbours on the Solway, which also has a large tidal range and plenty of mud - which were designed to be washed out by water kept pent up from a burn and then released at low water. Wigtown, Palnackie and Kingholm (Dumfries) all worked this way.
    I don`t think they could let too much water out as there are yachts in the top lock! The River Lyd feeds the whole system apart from when Dave allows free flow from the Severn!

That's also how the hole at Porlock is meant to be kept clear. I don't think Lydney is designed that way. The feed would have to be from the old canal which was where, I think, the coal barges came down from the forest to feed the ships that used the docks.
    The dock master, Dave, is an interesting character and featured prominently in a recent film about the Severn bridge.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew, password Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
    I don`t think they could let too much water out as there are yachts in the top lock! The River Lyd feeds the whole system apart from when Dave allows free flow from the Severn!
    I was wondering if flow down the canal was enough to do it in the past or if they had to remove the silt with dredgers. Obviously not enough flow to scour now, but that might be a result of low leisure use.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I think it was before they but the overflow sluice gate in!
    Could be wrong though, someone will be along shortly to correct.

Still one of my favourite places!
    Last edited by acheter; 03-01-18 at 09:20.

From "The Forester" local newspaper - the swing bridge at the inland end of the inner harbour has been repaired and reinstalled (paid for by the government) , and the next project is to dredge the old canal. The paper reports that this will reinvigorate the place but nothing is reported about the main gates and so far as I know they still don't work. If that's right I question the priorities here. What good is a tidal harbour without gates?

@acheter: This would be one of my favourite places too if I could get our boat in to it, which I can't with the gates stuck halfway open/closed.

So much for the proposed local trust.

"The Canal and River Trust has taken a step closer towards ensuring the transfer of Environment Agency navigations, which could see a number of important inland waterways transfer across to the Trust. Following 18 months of productive joint working with the Environment Agency and a recent meeting with Environment Minister Thérèse Coffey, the Canal and River Trust has been asked to make a written submission to Defra, setting out its proposals for a transfer to the Trust of the river navigations operated by the Environment Agency (EA). According to the EA, it remains the Government’s ambition to transfer its responsibility for navigation of the rivers to the Trust......... Along with its many environmental responsibilities, the Environment Agency manages the navigation of over 621 miles of waterways..... as well as Lydney Harbour and Rye Harbour, its two remaining ports.:
    http://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/new...m_medium=email

All just talk at the moment - or has someone mended the gates when I wasn't looking?

I hear H&S have stopped any work to wash the build up of mud from the gate? Could be wrong of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
    I hear H&S have stopped any work to wash the build up of mud from the gate? Could be wrong of course!
    I don't doubt that you've heard it, and equally I don't doubt that it's just an excuse. And a very feeble one too. In fact, it's tosh. Any competent engineer with experience of that sort of thing could write a risk assessment and a method statement for that job in a single day's work. Even easier, a marine contractor who does that sort of job routinely would already have the necessary H&S paperwork in their system. The real problem is that the Environment Agency have made such a mess of running Lydney Harbour over such a long period of time that there's no budget to maintain it as anything other than part of the flood defences.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123