Default Honda 8hp Outboard - Carb adjustment

I haven't broken anything yet, but would be interested to find out the correct adjustment procedure for the carburettor on my mid 90's BF8 (197cc) engine.

I only have the owners handbook for this engine which doesn't go into this much detail. I've set up carbs before, but would like to know the "base" settings - Just In Case.

Andy

<hr width=100% size=1>
    Free guitar lessons: www.justinguitar.com

Default Re: Honda 8hp Outboard - Carb adjustment

procedure is usually screw in "mixture" screw until gently seated, unscrew by specified no of turns -varies from model to model, but anything from 3/4 to 2 1/2 turns is common.

Then, when engine warm....adjust in & out by 1/4 turn seeking improvement in running : after this , re-set idle speed (tickover) within specified range.

<hr width=100% size=1>

When I had one of those, the main problem with getting it to run smoothly at idle was the blocking of the slow speed jet tube, That's the long thin brass tube recovered by pulling it's protruding end out from the carb body ever-so-gently with a pair of long nosed pliers. It needs to be completely clean and allow light to pass through. You might think looking at it that it was intended to be a solid brass rod if it's blocked! Cleaning is best done with a strand pulled from a wire brush. Also the bottom of it's housing needs to be scraped clean of gunge.

Stopping the engine on oil prior to a long period of non-use avoids this clogging up but it is a little tedious to achieve.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

Location : Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up from Blaenplwyf

Sounds familiar. I had exactly the same problem on my 1981 7.5hp 4-stroke Honda on my Extravert, and my dad had the same problem with his on his Duet. Both cured with the same fix, as you describe. It seems like it's common. Easy and cheap to solve, once you know what the cause is. I don't know if the new ones still do this.

<hr width=100% size=1>My ultimate dream - sailing a superyacht on the Sea of Okhotsk
    My ultimate dream - sailing a MacDuff26 at 16 knots

wish I had known that (and the dealer had known that ) when I had one. Its slow running was a pain in the a**e, only cured by flogging it off and installing a yanmar diesel. one of the best boating steps I've ever taken

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.