Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Well that`s the official answer & we already knew that so no real help

Thanks for getting a response
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

It means - "No boats that have ever fueled in the UK are allowed to sail to Belgium without risking a hefty fine".

Nothing will change that, so dont go! simples

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    It means - "No boats that have ever fueled in the UK are allowed to sail to Belgium without risking a hefty fine".

Nothing will change that, so dont go! simples
    I fear you are correct & it pains me to agree with you
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Hi
    My friend was one if the boats fined. He explains that customs came on board with a card reader in hand cos they knew that a British flagged vessel would have traces of red. They confiscated passports first to ensure they had the upper hand. The skippers attitude was in no way a factor in them being fined.
    I would say that avoiding Belgium at all costs is the only answer until this gets resolved, if that ever happens.
    Shame.
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Just received this from one of my clubs I'm a member of;

Red Diesel
    We have been advised by numerous sources that the Belgians are fining Sailors using Red Diesel, a member visiting Ostende last week was given a fine of €750, please beware!

I was told the other day (by a fisherman, make of that what you will) that the same tankers are used to deliver white and red diesel, and that they can be up to 4% of capacity prior to refilling - i.e. could contain 4% red and then fill up with white. Have to say I'm sceptical of that since you would think any DoT tests on vehicles would detect traces of red.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    I was told the other day (by a fisherman, make of that what you will) that the same tankers are used to deliver white and red diesel, and that they can be up to 4% of capacity prior to refilling - i.e. could contain 4% red and then fill up with white. Have to say I'm sceptical of that since you would think any DoT tests on vehicles would detect traces of red.
    They do use the same tankers, not sure about 4% though.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    They do use the same tankers, not sure about 4% though.
    Bru may be able to qualify that, as he was head honcho at BP

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Bru may be able to qualify that, as he was head honcho at BP
    Ha! I wouldn't mind his money

I was a minor lackey

Not my area of expertise (we accepted deliveries and sold the stuff) but as far as I'm aware, they do not (routinely at least) deliver forecourt duty paid diesel in the same tanks (each tanker has between two and eight individual tanks) as marked rebated fuel

And they certainly don't leave up to 4% of the contents in the tanks! Each tank can be anything up to 8,000 litres capacity and they're not going to waste up to 300 plus litres of fuel! (Anything left in the tanks on return to the depot is recovered before the tanks are refilled unless the tank is going to be filled with the same product for the next delivery)

That applies at least to the mainstream forecourt deliveries, it might be a different matter when it comes to small local garages being supplied by their local general oil and fuel merchants
    Marine electrical engineer 07961 531633
    https://www.facebook.com/peckettmarine/info

Reply from The CA to my correspondence with them
    I am not a member but tried to give them our info

Hello Sailorman, Thank you for your emails and the Belgian replies.

This problem has existed for over four years. We contacted the Belgian authorities in 2013, and after some considerable discussion, which included visiting the Belgian Embassy and pointing out the likely effect on local marinas and restaurants, but got no official response. Following this however, we found that people visiting in 2015 and 2016 seem not to have had any real problems. One problem we did hear of was a yacht which had a fuel can with red diesel in it. They were fined. We can only assume that the onset of the Brexit discussions has triggered the present situation. The legality, or not, of UK yachts being able to use red diesel is a complicated subject, and as you may know, the Belgian Government has a case before the European Court of Justice on this. Regrettably, we believe it best not to visit Belgium if you have any trace of red diesel in your tanks.

Regards, John Lansdell, Chair of the Regulations and Technical Services Committee (RATS), of the Cruising Association

Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast