Page 1 of 44 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Just a heads up, a friend of our was in Ostende about 2 weeks ago. He was the only UK boat there.

Had the usual visit from customs - then they asked about what diesel was in his tanks, he then produced the receipt but it didn't make any difference. Fined for having red diesel.

500 Euro fine + tankage.

New finance minister apparently and is very anti red diesel usage. They even fined two Belgian yachts with red in their tanks.
    Remember - sanity is highly over-rated.

Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Thats a deff....not going to Belgium

Any news on Holland?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

I hope your friend gets the details to the RYA Legal department pronto.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Thats a deff....not going to Belgium

Any news on Holland?
    I too would like to know, I'm been planning a trip to Holland for months
    "Keep true to the dreams of your youth."
    Friedrich Schiller (1759 - 1805)

How apart from cans, does one fill with white diesel? Am I right in thinking most Marinas only sell red. Doesn't garage diesel with its bio content have a detrimental affect on engine seals?

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    How apart from cans, does one fill with white diesel? Am I right in thinking most Marinas only sell red. Doesn't garage diesel with its bio content have a detrimental affect on engine seals?
    Don't confuse practicality with legality! Why would the rule makers and their advisors (presumably in this case the RYA) be bothered with how we achieve what they have written! ;-)
    Peter. Formerly known as Alchemist V274.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist V274 View Post
    Don't confuse practicality with legality! Why would the rule makers and their advisors (presumably in this case the RYA) be bothered with how we achieve what they have written! ;-)
    I was under the impression that the RYA were (are) on our side with this issue, I rather suspect that their lobby voice falls on deaf ears or ears tuned to other things......

I suggested that the RYA should be told because when I have heard their legal people talk about the perceived problem over the last couple of years, they apparently have not been contacted by anybody who has been fined so all they are getting is anecdotal evidence. Whatever you might think of the RYA, they are certainly on our side on this issue and in the early days of it they helped some British owners to get their fines refunded.
    My current understanding was that Les Belges had agreed an unofficial moratorium and told the Douanes to back off. But this is the second occurrence reported on here in the last week or two (or was it the same boat reported by two different people) so it needs following up.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    Very difficult to get white diesel in cans from British garages because erroneously (according to Ipswich trading standards) they will only allow you to have 2 gallons in a can, unless you can find a "pay at pump" at the dead of night! Reported this to Shell and the RYA but they didn't think it was an issue, but they were not fined in Ostende were they?

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    I suggested that the RYA should be told because when I have heard their legal people talk about the perceived problem over the last couple of years, they apparently have not been contacted by anybody who has been fined so all they are getting is anecdotal evidence. Whatever you might think of the RYA, they are certainly on our side on this issue and in the early days of it they helped some British owners to get their fines refunded.
    My current understanding was that Les Belges had agreed an unofficial moratorium and told the Douanes to back off.
    Clearly not the case ( last paragraph), as there are two threads on page one of this forum citing recent incidents. I made the point earlier, that it seems to be the whim of the Belgian officils thst determine one's fate? or maybe just a failure to communicate the current policy, anyway I will avoid Belgium for the time being and hope that the problem does not spread to Holland.....

Page 1 of 44 12345611 ... LastLast