Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344
Results 431 to 439 of 439
  1. #431
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,665

    Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

    Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    If you have a water drain on the base of your filter assembly would they be within rights to take, or ask you to take, a sample of fuel from it? suspect = yes
    They would definitely be within their rights.
    If you have a glass filter bowl, that is their first stop. If what they see looks suspect to them, they will require a sample, and they can take it by draining from the tank or by dipping it.
    A quick look at my filter bowl was all that was needed three weeks ago.

  2. #432
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

    Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    A quick look at my filter bowl was all that was needed three weeks ago.
    I haven't been keeping up with the east coast forum nor the red diesel issue. Are all boats arriving Belgium currently inspected and tested ? Is the same true in the Netherlands?

  3. #433
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with the east coast forum nor the red diesel issue. Are all boats arriving Belgium currently inspected and tested ? Is the same true in the Netherlands?
    I was in Oostende last week. In haste on mobile data I started a new thread instead of adding it on here. No idea if this is normal or a one off, but two of our group were boarded with the same attitude and actions. They were carrying a large backpack which I assume contained a testing kit.
    David

    We were in Oostende on Wednesday and had a visit from Belgium Customs. Having filled up purely on white Diesel for the last couple of years, I wasn't too worried. They very politely requested permission to come on board to check our documentation and a fuel check. We welcomed them aboard with a handshake and I produced my folder of documents handing them my passport (and crew's), SSR certificate and Bill of Sale, rummaging through my documents I asked if they wanted proof of VAT (my boat started its life in Guernsey and was later imported back into the UK), "No we are not interested in that."
    Two officers sat in the cockpit whilst the third asked if he could go below asking if we had excessive drinks or illegal substances. We replied it had all been drunk. The documents were photographed and everything was very light hearted with laughter from all on board.
    Nothing further was said about fuel, we were thanked for our cooperation and wished a safe onward journey with a further hand shake.
    Another team carried out a similar check on one of the boats with us with the same attitudes and actions. I suspect if we hadn't complied with the correct documentation or been awkward, our tanks may have been dipped.

  4. #434
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,665

    Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with the east coast forum nor the red diesel issue. Are all boats arriving Belgium currently inspected and tested ? Is the same true in the Netherlands?
    I am sorry I do not know. We are a Belgian boat and were boarded on a weekday after we had been doing some circles in the harbour to calibrate a new masthead windset and afterwards a couple af harbour maneuvres, and they told us our antics drew their attention. No-one else was moving at the time, so I suppose we were the obvious choice for them to occupy their morning at work.
    Last time I was boarded by Dutch customs, three or four years ago, was also on a weekday, and they only wanted to check the paperwork.

  5. #435
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    12,391

    Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

    Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    I am sorry I do not know. We are a Belgian boat and were boarded on a weekday after we had been doing some circles in the harbour to calibrate a new masthead windset and afterwards a couple af harbour maneuvres, and they told us our antics drew their attention. No-one else was moving at the time, so I suppose we were the obvious choice for them to occupy their morning at work.
    Last time I was boarded by Dutch customs, three or four years ago, was also on a weekday, and they only wanted to check the paperwork.
    Is this a continental thing? I don't think I've ever heard of the UK authorities boarding any private vessel to check on paperwork! During the London Olympics, we were sailing on the Thames and a large RIB full of black suited heavies pulled alongside, but they only asked if the boat was ours and where we were headed - no question of boarding or looking at anything. Other than that, in quite a few years of sailing, we've had no contact with the UK authorities at all...

  6. #436
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Medway, UK, boat in SYH
    Posts
    2,339

    Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

    15 or so years ago, early in the season, we were boarded in the Medway Estaury and details taken; nothing since.

  7. #437
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

    Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    Is this a continental thing? I don't think I've ever heard of the UK authorities boarding any private vessel to check on paperwork! During the London Olympics, we were sailing on the Thames and a large RIB full of black suited heavies pulled alongside, but they only asked if the boat was ours and where we were headed - no question of boarding or looking at anything. Other than that, in quite a few years of sailing, we've had no contact with the UK authorities at all...
    A friend was boarded 2 weeks ago by Borderforce heading for Bulogne. Not spoken to him, so don't know full details. We were met at Ramsgate on Saturday by Borderforce and asked where we had come from. When we told them Gravelines they asked for our passports. They seemed quite pleased as we were the first boats on Saturday not to have come from the Medway or East Coast. On Saturday there was a Cutter and a CPV in Ramsgate. It was the CPV crew that checked us. We then went up to the office to pay and another group of about 10 Borderforce people came along the wall. We were talking to them and they said they were a shorebased team.
    I think they had a busy weekend with migrants. We heard 2 calls on the radio that appeared to be migrant related.

  8. #438
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

    Was in Belgium in June 2019: in Nieuwpoort, had to come alongside their patrol cutter, they were interested in my passport and boat registration. Not interested in boarding my vessel or fuel. It took them about 15 minutes in all.
    In Oostend, the harbour master at RNSYC told me they tried to check my boat but I wasn't on board at the time.
    Boat is a sailing vessel.

  9. #439
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,205

    Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

    We held a cruise in company to see the D day celebrations. The French stopped us from visiting the beaches from shore side & we could not get within 6 miles !! We had hired cars to travel 106 Km from Le Havre . We left at 03-00 BST to get to the landing sites but apparently, one president Macron was there, so we were prevented, as were thousands of others, from going. There were road blocks everywhere.

    When a party of 3 boats left Le Havre on 07 June, for Eastbourne, traveling in convoy, 2 of them were boarded by French customs. The officials looked at documents & did not go below on either yacht. They left after and caused no major problem. All 3 boats were under power as zero wind.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to