Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Actually one needs to get it onto the TV or local radio.

Politicians only react to publicity. A reporter from Look East interviewing an Englishman about being fined for obeying the law is meat and drink .. Perhaps the Wail would be a good channel… after all we all know how they hate the UE..
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

MMmm I've been using a 20ltr can up to now but you've put doubt in my mind and I'll have to be more furtive in future. At the end of the day, they can't put it back .... I suppose they can confiscate it.... but....
    with a 160 litre tank in the boat that's a lot of diesel to hump about at least for KOS like me....
    Last edited by Boz; 24-07-15 at 09:04.
    "Keep true to the dreams of your youth."
    Friedrich Schiller (1759 - 1805)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

Politicians only react to publicity. A reporter from Look East interviewing an Englishman about being fined for obeying the law is meat and drink .. Perhaps the Wail would be a good channel… after all we all know how they hate the UE..
    Maybe we could start one of those online petitions, or bombard Nigel Farage with emails
    "Keep true to the dreams of your youth."
    Friedrich Schiller (1759 - 1805)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrawong_Kid View Post
    Very difficult to get white diesel in cans from British garages because erroneously (according to Ipswich trading standards) they will only allow you to have 2 gallons in a can, unless you can find a "pay at pump" at the dead of night! Reported this to Shell and the RYA but they didn't think it was an issue, but they were not fined in Ostende were they?
    Petrol is restricted to 2 gallons in one can, for storeage or carriage.

Diesel cans are not restricted.

Use another garage.

( Ex licencee of three garages, 2 Esso, 1 Total)
    Out means out, completely out. No single market. Time to walk away. The silent majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

But we are not obeying the 'law'. In the EU, marked diesel can only be used by those entitled to the tax discount. There is no provision in the regulations for the UK concession (required for all the reasons that have already been amply discussed) which is why the receipt you get for red diesel spells out that you are only able to use red diesel in UK waters.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by phatcat1 View Post
    Just a heads up, a friend of our was in Ostende about 2 weeks ago. He was the only UK boat there.

Had the usual visit from customs - then they asked about what diesel was in his tanks, he then produced the receipt but it didn't make any difference. Fined for having red diesel.

500 Euro fine + tankage.

New finance minister apparently and is very anti red diesel usage. They even fined two Belgian yachts with red in their tanks.

Where in Ostend (which marina) was your friend?
    Contacted the RNSYC HM jut now and he can not confirm the story.
    www.guapa.pn
    "Mieux vaut flotter sans grâce que couler en beauté…"

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrawong_Kid View Post
    Very difficult to get white diesel in cans from British garages because erroneously (according to Ipswich trading standards) they will only allow you to have 2 gallons in a can, unless you can find a "pay at pump" at the dead of night! Reported this to Shell and the RYA but they didn't think it was an issue, but they were not fined in Ostende were they?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBlue49 View Post
    Petrol is restricted to 2 gallons in one can, for storeage or carriage.

Diesel cans are not restricted.

Use another garage.

( Ex licencee of three garages, 2 Esso, 1 Total)
    When was that because you're well out of date

I have to explain this one about one a year on average

The legal framework is the legislation under which retailers are licensed to sell petroleum products which, in this context, includes diesel (don't argue, it just does!)

The licence is issued by the regional Petroleum Officer however his enforcement functions are delegated to Trading Standards

Until around 1990 or so, each licence was unique to the individual site with significant variations in the site conditions. BP, Shell, Trading Standards and the London Fire Brigade got together and agreed a standard Licence pro forma which is now the default for most (but not all) forecourts unless specific site conditions apply or the operators request a variation

Now to the point in question...

The standard licence conditions stipulate that petroleum (Inc. Diesel, see above!) can only be dispensed into EN or UN approved containers manufactured and marked for the purpose

The conditions set a maximum of...

2 x 5l plastic containers
    OR
    2x 10l metal containers
    OR
    1 x 20l metal container

There are no gallons involved!

You can also legally fill manufacturer supplied portable equipment fuel tanks up to about 30 litres but I've forgotten the exact amount

Bizarrely, it is perfectly legal to make and sell 10 and 20 litre plastic containers for diesel and perfectly legal to use them but it's illegal for a forecourt operator with a standard licence to permit them to be filled

A further complication arises due to internal company policy. I can only speak for BP but due to the difficulty faced by staff in identifying containers their policy is that containers must also be screw top and not "jerry" type cans

(Because you cannot see whether the can has the required locking pin to meet UN approval from the till and it's not always practical for a member of staff to go and check it out)

Of course, the degree to which the licence conditions are applied varies from forecourt to forecourt aThe legal framework is the legislative under which retailers are licensed to sell petroleum products which, in this context, includes diesel (don't argue, it just does!)

The licence is issued by the regional Petroleum Officer however his enforcement functions are delegated to Trading Standards

Until around 1990 or so, each licence was unique to the individual site with significant variations in the site conditions. BP, Shell, Trading Standards and the London Fire Brigade got together and agreed a standard Licence pro forma which is now the default for all forecourts unless specific site conditions apply or the operators request a variation

Now to the point in question...

The standard licence conditions stipulate that petroleum (Inc. Diesel, see above!) can only be dispensed into EN or UN approved containers manufactured and marked for the purpose

The conditions set a maximum of...

2 x 5l plastic containers
    OR
    2x 10l metal containers
    OR
    1 x 20l metal container

Bizarrely, it is perfectly legal to make and sell 10 and 20 litre containers for diesel and perfectly legal to use them but it's illegal for a forecourt operator with a standard licence to permit them to be filled

A further complication arises due to internal company policy. I can only speak for BP but due to the difficulty faced by staff in identifying containers their policy is that containers must also be screw top and not "jerry" type cans

(Because you cannot see whether the can has the required locking pin to meet UN approval from the till and it's not always practical for a member of staff to go and check it out)

Of course, the degree to which the rules are applied varies from site to site and unmanned sites are always handy

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    I too would like to know, I'm been planning a trip to Holland for months
    We have been in the Netherlands for five weeks and have yet to see an official of any sort. I have three receipts for Dutch white at €`1,3 a ltr or £0,90.it is as you will see, cheaper than our red. Take no notice from those who don't know.

The cloggies manage with bio and have done there past ten ➕ yrs.
    Some Brits get too far under the bonnet
    Ps, the cloggies are still able to buy seaqueen too but most of us are too stupid to be allowed to.
    Last edited by sailorman; 24-07-15 at 13:40.

When I was in France a couple of years ago, the fuel in the marina cost an arm and a leg.. so I walked down to the supermarket and borrowed a trolly, then I fetched four by 30 litre plastic cans and took them back to the supermarket self service.. and filled them and took them back to the boat on the shopping trolly.. Jolly hard work but it saved a fortune.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast