Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

How did the fine come about, what was the circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by Colvic Watson View Post
    .........................This latest fine though means that Belgium is completely off the radar, we were due there next year but no way will we go anywhere near. It means a longer crossing straight to Flushing but you'd have to be bonkers to risk going to Belgium now. The biggest problem is missing the steaks at KYCN - best we've ever had.
    Me too, I'm afraid. I have actually only been in one Belgian port since this all started 5(?) years ago, and that was Blankenberge about 3 years ago.
    Admittedly we never seem to hear the true circumstances of these reported fines, and I do wonder if the unfortunate boat-owners do something to bring it on themselves. Nevertheless 500euros is a heck of a lot of money and I will not take the risk.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Hmm the op makes a statement ie the fine, questions asked of him re which marina etc. - no response! Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by sunquest View Post
    Hmm the op makes a statement ie the fine, questions asked of him re which marina etc. - no response! Hmm
    Last online @ 06-45 yesterday, so one minute after posting this. May be worth cutting a little slack, I'm not online here as often as I used to be, thinking the O/P may well be the same. Know I wouldn't be here given the chance

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    Admittedly we never seem to hear the true circumstances of these reported fines, and I do wonder if the unfortunate boat-owners do something to bring it on themselves.
    +1
    And I was wondering if it was just me.

- Not too long ago, forumite Westhinder reported meeting a fellow forumite in Dunkirk who said he had been fined for - amongst other things - having red diesel in his tanks. It would have been nice to hear from this forumite and learn what has transpired from the horses mouth. Not a word.
    - Then this thread, another second hand report of boats being fined in Ostend. This report is of particular interest to me, as it also claims that Belgian registered yachts were fined for having red diesel and we have a visit to Ostend planned next week.
    When I contacted the RNSYC HM he was unable to confirm the story. Said he was not there 24/7, but he was sure that if something like that had happened he would have heard about it. There are other marinas in Ostend and I haven't (yet) checked with them which I why I asked OP where his friends were berthed at the time. No reply as yet.

Whenever pressed for details we never seem to get any.
    Failing details, I am starting to believe that these Belgian red diesel fines are the yachting equivalent of the abominable snowman - occasionally rumoured about but conclusive proof seems to be lacking.
    www.guapa.pn
    "Mieux vaut flotter sans grâce que couler en beauté…"

Maybe, but as the Belgian authorities clearly said that they will fine for carrying red diesel it surely wouldn't be a surprise to hear that they have fined for carrying red diesel.

Think that Guapa's point is that the myth and the experience don't seem to tally.
    We hear of people being fined but never first hand - ie "I was in Oostend last week and was fined for having red diesel in my tank". It has always been "I met a bloke" or "I know someone who..."
    We have been to Oostend at least once a year and normally twice for - well since I can remember. Last year we were boarded and questioned by the immigration guys who filled out a schengen form for us; but I've never been stopped by a customs person asking about diesel. Robert always told us not to worry and experience bore that out.
    I too am planned for the other side next week and normally would have no hesitation about going to Oostend. The OP here raises the question of whether the authorities have hardened their stance and are fining Brit yachts. But is that more rumour / pub gossip?

I think that is why FC has stickied this thread, so that maybe we can unearth some positive evidence as anecdotal makes for a good thread but puts doubt in everyone's mind..... well most people's anyway
    "Keep true to the dreams of your youth."
    Friedrich Schiller (1759 - 1805)

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    I think that is why FC has stickied this thread, so that maybe we can unearth some positive evidence as anecdotal makes for a good thread but puts doubt in everyone's mind..... well most people's anyway
    Well 100% positive to date as no evidence of any fines has yet been posted. Its like IS propaganda, just frightens some for no reason
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

The only positive evidence I can offer is that of at least a dozen UK boats in Ostende about 4 weeks ago and there was no issue. I did report that and another UK boat also reported that the Customs had been told to lay off. Seems a rapid about turn to me.
    Recent reports from friends who have been to Holland indicate no issues there -and none when they worked their way down the Belgian coast about 3 weeks ago.

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast