Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344 LastLast

Default Re: Levington boaters allegedly fined €500 in Belgium for red diesel

For myself, I just wish there was a local waterside source of white diesel to fill up with. I’d use that like a shot in preference just to save all the hassle.
    Pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    For myself, I just wish there was a local waterside source of white diesel to fill up with. I’d use that like a shot in preference just to save all the hassle.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    I would also prefer to go down this route. The problem for UK waterside suppliers is that those who have set up to supply white diesel for boats in the UK have found that the vast majority of volume sold is still red so the considerable investment in bunded tankage and pump for white is never paid off. I would be happier if we just went the same way as the EU and required pleasure craft to use white diesel - it doesn't seem to have caused any crisis in other EU countries and is so much simpler than the contrived UK process. However the RYA, apparently with he support of the vast majority of members, doesn't agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post
    I would also prefer to go down this route. The problem for UK waterside suppliers is that those who have set up to supply white diesel for boats in the UK have found that the vast majority of volume sold is still red so the considerable investment in bunded tankage and pump for white is never paid off. I would be happier if we just went the same way as the EU and required pleasure craft to use white diesel - it doesn't seem to have caused any crisis in other EU countries and is so much simpler than the contrived UK process. However the RYA, apparently with he support of the vast majority of members, doesn't agree with me.
    The small commercial and fishing boats would still want red so the boatyards would still need two tanks and two pumps and many choose not to invest in both. One sollution is to have white only and let the commercial and fishing boats claim the tax back on their tax returns then everyone will be happy.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post
    Exactly what should have been done in the first place, in my view, combined with requiring commercial craft to use white and claim back, and I said so at the time to the RYA.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    The small commercial and fishing boats would still want red so the boatyards would still need two tanks and two pumps and many choose not to invest in both. One sollution is to have white only and let the commercial and fishing boats claim the tax back on their tax returns then everyone will be happy.

Trouble is, with no dye, there is no way to check for fuel bought from a marine pump, tax re-claimed, and then same fuel moved to road vehicle. Perhaps another colour would be the answer. Green perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    Perhaps another colour would be the answer. Green perhaps.
    As the Irish use in lieu of red !!
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    Trouble is, with no dye, there is no way to check for fuel bought from a marine pump, tax re-claimed, and then same fuel moved to road vehicle. Perhaps another colour would be the answer. Green perhaps.
    Colour "IS" the issue, nothing else, any coloured fuel, even tartan dyed fuel would get you into trouble
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Not wishing to get into a Brexit debate a there are threads elsewhere on the forum for that but:
    If we were free of restrictions from the EU we would not have to have such high duty on fuel anyway. If we were able to reduce import tax on goods inc fuel the duty difference between red & white MAY become a lot more palatable. Commercial marine users claiming the VAT back within their returns would then have a much smaller difference to worry about.
    Of course oe can hope but it would depend on what deal was obtained & how close we were aligned with the EU in the final deal. WTO does have some advantages. Furthermore any duty changes will take some years to filter through. Hopefully, the chancellor would consider fuel, generally, as a benefit to the consumer & that, along with food etc , could be an early recipient of duty reductions.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post

This is the way to go. All fuel would be sold duty paid with no need to mark any of it. Commercial users who are entitled to tax relief would claim it back via electronic(modern) means and the duty would become an entirely virtual process. A bit like virtual customs borders which I accept are not at present workable but in a few years time?

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344 LastLast