Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3338394041424344 LastLast

Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Rafts of updates in that thread, the most significant being #95 from Vyv Cox which reads "Following questions from the CA's RATS team the Belgian authorities have admitted that they were mistaken and the fine has been repaid.".

Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Just had this land in my inbox, originated from the CA, via SPYC

Over last weekend, we heard a lot about the owner of a CA boat being fined for red diesel in the boat's fuel tank even thought 100% UK tax had been paid. Thanks to the work of CA RATS, the Belgium Government admitted that this was done in error and the whole fine has been refunded. We have been reassured that this is an isolated incident.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Default Re: Ambassador's reponse to CA

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    I wonder if any of the people who have been fined are trying to get their money back,or if the RYA are assisting anyone affected to do so.We are all vulnerable to arbitrary policy changes such as happened this summer unless there is some recourse available to those who get unlucky.I wont be visiting until the Belgians officially publish a policy, enforceable under the rule of law, which includes a concentration level above which fuel is illegal.That way they would have to prove an offense before blithely relieving us of £500 under threat of detention.
    This is what I thought nearly two years ago and I havnt changed my mind. I havnt put red in my tank for over two years but it still shows a bit of staining in the water trap. Until there is a formal legal position with a minimum concentration for imposing a fine I will avoid Belgium. Shame really as it is a nice place to visit.

One can replace the glass bowl on a standard Delphi filter unit with a metal bowl. I have one. Do canal boats have to have this as part of fire regs ?
    This means that the customs officer cannot just shine a torch on the bowl.
    I wonder what would happen if one had spare white in a can (I always carry plenty of spare) & filled the tank a little below the brim, so it did not look too obvious, immediately on arrival at each point of arrival. Would the red dye affect the part of the fuel in the filler pipe, if not shook up? I know that one cannot dip the tank from the pipe on my boat, due to bends in the pipe. The pipe is quite long. Presumably they would only be dipping the white I had just put in.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

If you have a water drain on the base of your filter assembly would they be within rights to take, or ask you to take, a sample of fuel from it? suspect = yes

I was next to a Centaur in Woodbridge a couple of years ago who had been stopped in Ostende, and fined for red diesel. The owner had NEVER used red diesel in the last couple of years, topping his tank with white from a normal filling station. The residue of red in the tank (not visible according to him) was still detectable. So... A metal filter housing won't help...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    . So... A metal filter housing won't help...
    It will stop them just shinning a torch on a glass bowl. That means taking a fuel sample. As pointed out, they can take it from a fuel drain- but only if one has one. The alternative is tank dipping & if the tank cannot be reached from the filler cap entry point what do they do then?
    I was asking, if by filling the pipe with white fuel, would the red be detectable without stirring the mix
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

As a matter of interest, do these inspectors carry testing kits, to obtain % present. Even road testing has a % allowance i believe

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    As a matter of interest, do these inspectors carry testing kits, to obtain % present. Even road testing has a % allowance i believe
    The one person I know personally who was fined said that they didn't even test his fuel. Looked at his bowl and said it looked a bit red. Confiscated passports until £500 fine was paid. This was in the last round of fines.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    The one person I know personally who was fined said that they didn't even test his fuel. Looked at his bowl and said it looked a bit red. Confiscated passports until £500 fine was paid. This was in the last round of fines.
    I'm not an expert on the Napoleonic Law that is common across most of the continent, but I would assume that there is provision for an appeal during which you could get an independent lab analysis of your fuel and present evidence that the concentration of marker was below the limit set in EU directives. On the other hand, the authorities can probably make your life very difficult if you refuse to pay the fine and one ends up giving in for a quiet life. In most juristictions, the police can imprison you or impound your property if you refuse to pay a fine - you pay up, then decide whether or not to appeal it.

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3338394041424344 LastLast