Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like we have a spanner in the works - just 'phoned to check that our SSR registration (change of ownership) has been processed and the answer is 'no' it is taking 4-5 weeks at the moment (website says 10 working days), so it won't arrive in time. Wing it without an SSR certificate? Hmmm, maybe not!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like we have a spanner in the works - just 'phoned to check that our SSR registration (change of ownership) has been processed and the answer is 'no' it is taking 4-5 weeks at the moment (website says 10 working days), so it won't arrive in time. Wing it without an SSR certificate? Hmmm, maybe not!
    Definitely not.
    Wouldn't try going ANYWHERE abroad without an original SSR.
    www.guapa.pn
    "Mieux vaut flotter sans grâce que couler en beauté…"

Even the Dutchies wanted to see our SSR when we had a boat with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Colvic Watson View Post
    Even the Dutchies wanted to see our SSR when we had a boat with one.
    I've been asked for registration papers at Vlissingen, Hansweert, Colijnsplaat. Also, in a snowy winter, with the boat layed up in the marina shed.
    Parker 31/14 'Alchemist'

Just had this from a representative of a Yacht Club - don't shot the messenger!

RYA QUOTE _ Changed by Sue Sutherland on 29/07/2015 12:55
    Regulations and Technical Services Group
    News
    Use of Red Diesel in Belgium - July 2015 update from RATS

Recent information indicates the situation regarding Red Diesel in Belgium has changed, due to a new Minister being responsible, and a number of UK yachts have been fined. We would thus advise those with Red Diesel in their tanks NOT to visit any Belgian port.

We hope to get more information on this in the next week or so.

John Landsell

Regulation and Technical Services Group

Afraid it's still hearsay evidence though, they could well be hearing from people who read here about how someone who was a mate of a buddy told me so, don't know about others but I'd still like to hear it from someone who has actually been done. Though I have a feeling I know why Roger and Wim haven't been, smiles like cheshire cats get a much friendlier greeting than an oh great here comes the filth, face

I can't see that it's any less reliable evidence than the "it hasn't happened to me therefore it can't have happened to anyone" approach. I can't see that assuming that anyone who has been fined must have been rude or objectionable is exactly evidence-based either.

Having been fined some years ago in the Kiel Canal (on false basis), the experience has led me to believe that skipper attitude may well not effect the outcome of the discussion. He made the experience reasonably stressful in so far that paying up was far, far less hassle than arguing. He went from boat to boat trying it on, and probably got his way on most. The current Belgium situation may different - I do not know - but making assumptions over why it has happened may be premature.

Imagine what they would be like if there were thousands of illegals camped all round Oostend trying to get into the UK.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Busy & disctracted I would imagine. Mind you I don't think I'd want to be arriving (or departing more to the point) by boat in that case anyway!

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast