Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Liveaboard in Holland.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Over winter as well?
    Sixhaven had a max stay of two weeks when I was in there, worth checking.

I'm about to spend a year or 2 working in Amsterdam, and also want to buy a sail boat (32-36 foot) to put on a mooring in Frnace in a few years time, so I'm wondering about buying a boat and living on it, then moving it to France when the job is over. Are there any marinas in Amsterdam that might allow something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilesfc1 View Post
    I'm about to spend a year or 2 working in Amsterdam, and also want to buy a sail boat (32-36 foot) to put on a mooring in Frnace in a few years time, so I'm wondering about buying a boat and living on it, then moving it to France when the job is over. Are there any marinas in Amsterdam that might allow something like that?
    I'm berthed at Amsterdam Marina.

There are a few liveaboards here from what I can see - some on quite expensive boats. Whether it's officially allowed I do not know but I assume the marina staff are fully aware .

Website here http://www.amsterdammarina.com/home/visitors/

A downside is that it's a pretty 'dirty' marina with a lot of airborne grime from the various industries/building works around - no restrictions on water for washing down though.

Otherwise an excellent marina (note: there a no marine services on site, berthing only).

Edit: You might like to read this blog entry by forumite Birvidik Bob: Dutch Delights & Netherlands Nasties (about 3 entries down from top of web page).

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/birvidik
    Last edited by Tradewinds; 10-09-16 at 09:05. Reason: Extra info

Hey, I just stumbled on this and its very useful! Could I grab any more details to chat more? I just moved over here and looking to fulfill a live aboard dream! David

I don't know which poster you're referring to - but, if it was me, due to family circumstances, I've just returned to SYH nr Ipswich after 3 pleasant years at Amsterdam Marina (but not as a liveaboard).

My only gripes are -
    Amsterdam/N.Holland: It is grey and wet Autumn to Spring and can be pretty cold. Teak, particularly decks and awnings, running rigging etc go green despite copious treatments of Patio Magic (Boracol).
    Amsterdam Marina: In the main part of the marina the boats quickly get filthy due to (I presume) the workings at the shipyard next door and the fallout from the chimney at the chemical plant across the canal if the wind is from that direction. You constantly need to rinse the boat down to get rid of the grime (no problem if you 'liveaboard').

But, despite the above, I'd recommend Amsterdam Marina to anyone looking for a medium/long-term berth in N. Holland which is easy to commute to (note: officially they do not allow liveaboards, though there are a few there). Good value (by UK standards) @ €3200 pa for a 13m boat (elec extra) with an excellent ablution block and great steak restaurant (Loetje) next door. Lots of development between the marina and the ferry terminal going on with shops, bars and supermarket opening 2020.

There are loads of other, smaller 'marinas' dotted around which will be cheaper but I'm pretty sure these will be fully occupied by locals.

Edit: I see that I've already written most of this in my previous post.
    Last edited by Tradewinds; 17-09-19 at 09:05.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12