Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Sutton harbour owners behaviour, what do you think? one for pilots

quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

Default Re: Sutton harbour owners behaviour, what do you think? one for pilots

Seems pretty disgraceful behaviour, but maybe there are facts we are not aware of.

I can understand the airport owners controlling access to the plane (private property etc), but is it their place to prohibit a takeoff on safety grounds??

To an outsider it does seem a little strange.

I think I'm correct in saying that, assuming no headwind to help, that particular aircraft needs about 175 metres to take off and reach 50 feet. I've just measured the runway at Plymouth and it's 1150 metres end to end. A safety margin of over 600% would seem fairly reasonable.

By all means require the use of a commercial pilot and ensure the plane is safe to fly but otherwise it looks like someone's trying to get planning permission for a new development and emphasising that all of a sudden Plymouth Airport isn't safe to fly planes out of.

Let's not forget that a good many airfields are little more than fields. Even Lee on Solent in our boating patch uses radio communication between pilots to sort it's self out and I didn't see a huge fleet of Oshkosh fire trucks last time I took off ! Plymouth has the benefit of a hard surface. Give the fellow a broom and get him to sign his life away.

Alness / Black Isle, Northern Scottish Highlands.

The former airport site, which has been closed for almost four years, is in a built up area and has none of the facilities to safely manage the movement of aircraft.

"For that reason we will not give permission for the aircraft to take off but have no issue with it being taken away at any time by road. We have made that clear to the pilot and await a response."
    Well if there is only one aircraft there and only one aircraft moving, I personally can't see a problem.

I think the answer has been touched on here, that the closed airfield isn't now viable as an airfield and allowing a takeoff would somehow work against that idea, at least in the owner's opinion. Much better it be developed.

They've got themselves an awful lot of publicity over this.

Sutton Harbour (who bought Plymouth airport as a going concern, and then swiftly ran it into the ground so that they could exercise the 'armageddon-clause' in their purchase contract from the council and close it for a property redevelopment scheme) are claiming a £200,000 rates rebate from Plymouth council, on the grounds that the airport no longer operates as an airport. They are concerned that an arrival and departure from the field (even as a result of an emergency diversion) is going to cost them money. The assertion that they are unwilling to let the pilot fly out of the field for "safety reasons" is a bald faced lie, by a bunch of rapacious chancers. I'm not sure that I'd keep a boat at one of their establishments, as you'd never be quite certain that you'd be allowed to leave - one day they might decide that it too was unsafe...

From a position of total ignorance in such matters and assuming that the consequences if it went pear shaped would be severe, it's got to be awfully tempting for the pilot to sneak in and take off anyway (assuming he can get a clear patch of concrete I guess)
    The only certain cure for sea sickness is to go and sit under a tree...

Also it's not an airport, and the runway isn't a runway anymore.

Of he'd managed to put it down on a section of A road, you wouldn't allow him to take off on that same section of road.
    He's landed on a bit of Tarmac that used to be a runway but no longer is. He landed in an emergency, without permission and on somewhere not (currently) designated for landing aircraft. There is now no emergency and just because there happens to be some Tarmac long enough doesn't mean he can just take off
    1994 Ferretti 150 'Seralia'

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    Also it's not an airport, and the runway isn't a runway anymore.

Of he'd managed to put it down on a section of A road, you wouldn't allow him to take off on that same section of road.
    He's landed on a bit of Tarmac that used to be a runway but no longer is. He landed in an emergency, without permission and on somewhere not (currently) designated for landing aircraft. There is now no emergency and just because there happens to be some Tarmac long enough doesn't mean he can just take off
    True but Gimli was no longer an airport either.
    And a The Mississippi River Levy in Louisiana definitely never was.
    I think the owners are being unnecessarily uncooperative.

Even so the insurance should cover the cost of removal by road.
    Last edited by Uricanejack; 21-08-15 at 00:35.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast