Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default Urgent issue with Torqeedo 1003S, hope you can help!

    Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a Torqeedo 1003S which I use occasionally on my 8ft inflatable dinghy. A peculiar issue has popped up where the motor seems to rev up and down as usual, but the prop spins slowly, and at a constant speed. It spins fast enough to probably move me in no tide or breeze, but couldn't move me against a 9 knot head wind last night. Also, as it revs, it's at a higher pitch, not as throaty as when it's operating properly.

    I haven't taken the prop off yet to see if it's the shear pin, but I've never had an impact before, or had it wrapped in seaweed. There does seem to be a bit of wiggle between the black bulb and the fin shaft. Is that normal?

    Has this happened to any other Torqeedo owners before? Normally I wouldn't stress about it and just ship it to a service center, but I'm in a position now where I'm dependent on it to get to my boat and absolutely need a working motor by next Thursday. I'm hoping there's an easy fix.

    Thank you in advance!

    Alex

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    West Australia
    Posts
    10,804

    Default Re: Urgent issue with Torqeedo 1003S, hope you can help!

    Certainly sounds like slippage between the prop and the shaft. Or perhaps somewhere else up the drive chain. Try removing the prop and it might become obvious. Sorry don't actually know the Torquedo at all. olewill

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kernow
    Posts
    4,312

    Default Re: Urgent issue with Torqeedo 1003S, hope you can help!

    Sounds like the shear pin. If so you may have trouble undoing the prop nut. You may need to run the motor against the spanner. I intend to replace the pin on mine with a non shearing one, at least a damaged prop will be more use than a good one with a sheared pin !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    mintcakeland
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Urgent issue with Torqeedo 1003S, hope you can help!

    There's a previous thread here:
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...-removal/page3
    relating to issues with shear pins; the last couple of posts from Davidsmn give his advice with regards to removing prop when the pin is sheared. I got my new Torqeedo from Seamark Nunn, no problems to date (I've only ran it twice!), but found them very helpful, you could always try giving them a ring. I'd also suggest emailing the Torqeedo service dept: at service@torqeedo.com, I had (ultimately, terminal) issues with an earlier model and one of their engineers was happy to advise me, although it may take a few days to get a response.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Urgent issue with Torqeedo 1003S, hope you can help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beneteau343 View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a Torqeedo 1003S which I use occasionally on my 8ft inflatable dinghy. A peculiar issue has popped up where the motor seems to rev up and down as usual, but the prop spins slowly, and at a constant speed. It spins fast enough to probably move me in no tide or breeze, but couldn't move me against a 9 knot head wind last night. Also, as it revs, it's at a higher pitch, not as throaty as when it's operating properly.

    I haven't taken the prop off yet to see if it's the shear pin, but I've never had an impact before, or had it wrapped in seaweed. There does seem to be a bit of wiggle between the black bulb and the fin shaft. Is that normal?

    Has this happened to any other Torqeedo owners before? Normally I wouldn't stress about it and just ship it to a service center, but I'm in a position now where I'm dependent on it to get to my boat and absolutely need a working motor by next Thursday. I'm hoping there's an easy fix.

    Thank you in advance!

    Alex
    Yes, sounds like shear pin. When I had a Torqeedo 1003, seaweed broke mine too! The shear pin is very feeble indeed, and a good clump of weed will break it. Prop a complete pain to remove as the other post says.

    I guess the weakness of the shear pin is on purpose though as the electric motor may be vulnerable to damage under a load which it can't cope with. Have to say, a design flaw for any outboard NOT to cope with a bit of weed. My Tohatsu 2.5hp met a huge clump last weekend and totally demolished it - and that's just 2.5HP. The Torqeedo is supposed to be 4HP?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Home: Kent. Boat: Chichester
    Posts
    40,294

    Default Re: Urgent issue with Torqeedo 1003S, hope you can help!

    Quote Originally Posted by dartmoor View Post
    Yes, sounds like shear pin. When I had a Torqeedo 1003, seaweed broke mine too! The shear pin is very feeble indeed, and a good clump of weed will break it. Prop a complete pain to remove as the other post says.

    I guess the weakness of the shear pin is on purpose though as the electric motor may be vulnerable to damage under a load which it can't cope with. Have to say, a design flaw for any outboard NOT to cope with a bit of weed. My Tohatsu 2.5hp met a huge clump last weekend and totally demolished it - and that's just 2.5HP. The Torqeedo is supposed to be 4HP?
    There's the catch. It isn't.

    If you read the tech spec you will find that it consumes 1000 watts of electrical power and delivers 480watts of propulsive power .......... approx 0.64 Hp

    They confuse you by claiming that it has the same thrust, as a 4hp petrol outboard

    The power of a petrol outboard is the power measured, in accordance with ICOMIA 28/83 (q.v.), at the propshaft. Your 2.5hp Tohatsu delivers 2.5 Hp at the propshaft. Your Torqeedo 1003 only delivers 0.64 hp!
    Last edited by VicS; 16-09-15 at 15:17.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    30,471

    Default Re: Urgent issue with Torqeedo 1003S, hope you can help!

    Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    There's the catch. It isn't.

    If you read the tech spec you will find that it consumes 1000 watts of electrical power and delivers 480watts of propulsive power .......... approx 0.64 Hp

    They confuse you by claiming that it has the same thrust, as a 4hp petrol outboard

    The power of a petrol outboard is the power measured, in accordance with ICOMIA 28/83 (q.v.), at the propshaft. Your 2.5hp Tohatsu delivers 2.5 Hp at the propshaft. Your Torqeedo 1003 only delivers 0.64 hp!
    Torqeedo suggest that the 1003 has thrust broadly comparable with a 3hp petrol outboard. As with all "standards", there's some wriggle room in ICOMIA 28/83 for manufacturers to massage the numbers, but a 2.5hp outboard should certainly deliver at least 2hp at the propshaft. I have a Torqeedo 1003 and it certainly seems to have a fair bit of thrust, although subjectively I'd equate it to say a 1.5hp petrol outboard.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Urgent issue with Torqeedo 1003S, hope you can help!

    Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    There's the catch. It isn't.

    If you read the tech spec you will find that it consumes 1000 watts of electrical power and delivers 480watts of propulsive power .......... approx 0.64 Hp

    They confuse you by claiming that it has the same thrust, as a 4hp petrol outboard

    The power of a petrol outboard is the power measured, in accordance with ICOMIA 28/83 (q.v.), at the propshaft. Your 2.5hp Tohatsu delivers 2.5 Hp at the propshaft. Your Torqeedo 1003 only delivers 0.64 hp!
    Ah, no wonder it got defeated by weed at 0.64HP - seaweed 1, Torqeedo 0

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Boats For Sale

to
to