Default M-Tech, MT-500 DSC VHF radio

Another inheritance with my new boat is one of these radio units which appears to be fully functioning so I would like to use it if possible.

The problem is that it has an MMSID number burned in and OFCOM tell me that the number belongs to another vessel (the public pages of the UTI site does not recognise the number- which seems a contradiction), so obviously this has been sold as a second hand unit some time back and shouldn't be used without reprogramming.

It is a budget compact unit and probably uneconomic to do such a change but the Pony Electric Corporation of Japan (dreadful name!) lists a Plymouth company as their UK distributor but that company says that information is ancient history- I have asked PEC if there is any other agent in the UK and if not then I think I am stuck unless there is a workaround for a user to overcome the problem or more likely a way for an electronics engineer to delete the registered number to let me start afresh?

Any suggestions folks other than to use the unit and not activate DSC ?

Default Re: M-Tech, MT-500 DSC VHF radio

One of our very knowledgeable sailors has just e-mailed me a solution so I'm saved

Hi
    Could you share the solution, as I have the same issue and I am a long way from a retailer
    Thanks

Hi.I know this is an old thread. But I desperately need the relevant information from this thread as I have a me 500 vie with the same problem hope someone is looking and can reply.

better to post this on the PBO forum

The M-Tech was previously sold in the UK as the Nasa SX35 (and that was a PoS as well!). My SX35 died through water ingress after only about 5 years...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by pshel176 View Post
    Hi.I know this is an old thread. But I desperately need the relevant information from this thread as I have a me 500 vie with the same problem hope someone is looking and can reply.
    Welcome to the forums! According to the manual for the Nasa SX35 (same basic radio), you have 3 opportunities to install the MMSI. If your radio hasn't used up all 3 chances, you may be able to change it. If you don't have the manual, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a PDF of it.

Quote Originally Posted by michaux View Post
    Hi
    Could you share the solution, as I have the same issue and I am a long way from a retailer
    Thanks
    The latest posts on my old original thread has only now brought my attention to those who also posted back in 2016 and I hope they will excuse me for not being more vigilant.
    From ‘pvb’ it looks as though there is a solution in the offing which is good for I kept no record of what I was told but I can say it came from a compatriot’s diligent Googling and the solution worked just fine for my unit.
    If this recoding issue remains a problem I am happy to try to. track back to my original saviour but I wouldn’t place too much reliance on my being lucky a second time- but let me know if all else fails

Gordon

No intention of pre-empting ‘pvb’ but I asked my compatriot if by chance he had retained the information I had previously received from him and quick as a flash this is what he has sent me again- and I hope it is as successful as it was for me.

“1. Depress the MEM and SCAN button simultaneously and switch the transceiver to ON
    2. At “Factory Reset”, release the buttons and push ENT
    3. Switch the transceiver to OFF
    4. Switch the transceiver to ON (Display is empty)
    5. Push the ENT button
    6. Switch transceiver to OFF
    7. Switch the transceiver to ON

Done. You can now enter a new MMSI”
    Last edited by Gin; 10-03-19 at 19:47. Reason: Bl**dy spell checker

Default Replacing MMSI Number.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin View Post
    No intention of pre-empting ‘pvb’ but I asked my compatriot if by chance he had retained the information I had previously received from him and quick as a flash this is what he has sent me again- and I hope it is as successful as it was for me.

“1. Depress the MEM and SCAN button simultaneously and switch the transceiver to ON
    2. At “Factory Reset”, release the buttons and push ENT
    3. Switch the transceiver to OFF
    4. Switch the transceiver to ON (Display is empty)
    5. Push the ENT button
    6. Switch transceiver to OFF
    7. Switch the transceiver to ON

Done. You can now enter a new MMSI”
    Just done this to clear the memory on my M-Tech, and it worked perfectly, however, all I did was Switch the unit on, whilst pressing the Mem & Scan buttons and it went straight to the MMSI display. I just entered in the new MMSI (Boat was previously registered in Croatia, and is now SSR'd) and hit ENT.
    Didn't need to continue with the rest of the steps, above.
    Regards.