Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Do you recognise this boat?

It's only 15ft, which is a tad confusing...

I'll be doing the woodwork over the next few weeks so it gives me scope to adjust the design.

Looking again.... Is it possible that the original 'Windows' were the shape of the panels that include the round portlights? Makes more sense than the pyratical look it has now.
    Re the engine: They do have a rep for being cantankerous. But, modding the magneto to coil ignition can save plenty of grief. I understand that one uses the contacts in the mag, but use a 12v coil to get a decent spark. Needs a battery, that can be used for other things too, as long as a small alternator is also fitted to the engine. Citröen 2CVs use a little 35amp unit which shouldn't sap to much power. Reason I mention this is that a bloke had a launch with a ST engine over in the States and did the coil mod. Since he only used it for day trips, the battery had plenty of charge without an alternator. He said it transformed the unit into a reliable easy starting engine.

I take it the STs are a 6v system from standard?

I'm going to start off with a strip clean and build and go from there, if I can atleast get the engine to run that gives me more scope to modify/upgrade

That isnt a Norman Pearn Sea Shanty.
    They built proper little motor sailors reminiscent of the local angling boats as either sloops or as motor boats for that part of the world, I will dig out an image as I know I have seen one somewhere. It looks to me like a Sunspot 15 with bilge keels removed and a shallower transom hung rudder fitted on a vertical transom. Obviously a different coachroof deck and cockpit. My guess with that many modifications is that it was done professionally so maybe Norman Pearn did modify it for an owner. It wont win anything in the beauty stakes but every boat is somebodies pride and joy so good luck and get on with it, am sure it will provide some memorable times afloat.

I thinks the cabin is based on the upperworks of this more famous vessel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbinia

Re the Sunspot 15, here is a copy of the Builder's brochure for reference.

Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

What would we do without Bajansailer.....looks very much like a modified Sunspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Harsh! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all. I like the hull and quirky portholes, too. The coachroof is a bit "garden shed" for my taste but she is only 18' and you need a bit of height to make it habitable.
    Agreed. Don't listen to the naysayers OP, looks have nothing to do with the joys/ frustrations/ memories that your first boat will bring you. I have a Jouet Golif, people have mixed feelings about its attractiveness, but it's my baby and I love it. Fair winds!
    Jouet Golif 'Aljonic'

Thanks for the input peeps , you sure are some knowledgeable folk, I've been getting in to the rebuild now... And oh dear, every single piece of wood is rotten have thus decided to strip everything and start from scratch.

Engine is out now, if it doesn't run after a service and points clean it will be having the coil mod, only problem Is I can't tell if the starter/dynamo is 6v or 12v.

It's coming back together now, and is starting to look more like a boat and less like a bonfire pile!.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast