Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fair for all

Default Re: Fair for all

<<No taxation without representation worked pretty well>>

but vice versa is true as well. In the greek city states, only citizens who paid the taxes voted. The essence of democracy was ( note was ) the combination of power with responsibilty and having to pay for it, decided in a communal setting.

The much-vilified Poll tax was designed to address the Tower Hamlets issue where, I think, approximately 80% of the electors did not pay taxes or rates. Surprise surprise, they kept voting to increase local expenditure and let the few ratepayers and general central government kitty pay for it. Naturally this was represented as a tax on voting but social benefit levels were to be, and were, raised by the average of local rates. Therefore, people were given the opportunity to "make a profit" by voting in low taxers and " a loss" by voting in high taxers. But surely that is what true democracy should mean. The tragedy was that Maggie's government did not freeze local government expenditure enough for the following year (or invest enough assuming councils would shove a load of expenditure through) so the local element of contribution doubled. However, I still cannot see it as anything other than true democracy. Yet "everyone" was dead against it and the local v central funding of local services fiasco continues.

<hr width=100% size=1>

I happen to agree with you in totallity.

In fact local expenditure is out of control and we have the dim nit wits in charge of it.

I have personally watched many millions being wasted on incredibly poorly managed projects that the tax payer has paid a fortune for and the project has actually done harm all round without any residual value.

The poll tax was a fairly based tax but even the community charge is now going to be done away with if Lib/Dems have their way - does that mean the end of business rates? Or is the proposal to have people locally taxed and businesses without a vote continuing to pay? :-)

I am also fed up with the docile attitude of many who seem to think that high taxes and governement control is to be accepted without a murmer of protest.

Thats my little moan for the day .. I feel better now.

<hr width=100% size=1>Paul
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

You seem to have missed a crucial point.
    Most petrol boats are day boats or sports boats, most of them (at least in our marina) seem to go out fairly infrequently, maybe on the odd fishing or skiing trip.
    Diesel boats predominantly are long distance serious cruising vessels, which are capable of long distances and many do just that.
    So defined by usage, the fuel cost ratios of ownership are about the same.

Steve.

<hr width=100% size=1>

I guess it depends on which marina you are in, but I know many diesel boats that never move, while many petrol boats go on extended long distance trips

<hr width=100% size=1>Me transmitte sursum, caledoni

I would also say it was the total opposite, the smaller boats seem do far more milage around here than the big guzzlers.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Woof</A>

Yes but generally the bigger cruising boats use more fuel and would be hit big time by the fuel price hike. Of course there are those boats that never moved ... I know a 60 footer than did 3 hours in 3 years ... but that does not effect Steve's point which is valid.

<hr width=100% size=1>Paul
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    My Multihull Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12